The Tower Treasure (Book Club Discussion)

Started by hardygirl847, March 15, 2010, 06:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hardygirl847

Quote from: MacGyver on April 23, 2010, 08:48:51 AM
Another thing I noticed in the original text- why are Adelia and Hurd Applegate so mean to the Hardy Boys when they're trying to help them recover their stolen items by searching the Towers? Hurd does eventually actually help them (and from what I can tell I think both characters redeem themselves by the end of the book)- but they really act kinda funny considering Frank and Joe are just trying to recover their jewels and bonds.

They came off this way in the RT too. At first I thought it was because they had something to do with the crime but later found out they are just old, mean people...lol I guess they do come around but they have something against youth. I have no idea why. However, there are still people today that have that mentality so perhaps it is a cycle?
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

tomswift2002

Plus you have to remember that the Applegate's thought that the real criminal was already behind bars and that it was only a matter of time until Mr. Robinson finally broke down and revealed where the bonds and papers were hidden.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

Okay- after finally finishing this book (I normally go faster with books- sadly I've only had so much time to read in between everything else I have to do)- I must say that the last two chapters totally made up for any hard feelings previously the Applegates may have had. I love Adelia Applegate's compliment to The Hardy Boys- I know they were thrilled to be called "real detectives". And to have the whole gang over at Tower Mansion for supper from the Applegates- oh, I just loved that!  :D  Hurd and Adelia Applegate turn out to be a really nice old couple after all and that was great to see.
    And one last side note- Chief Collig and Detective Oscar Smuff really reminded me (particularly at the trial scene) of Arthur "Big Guy" Carlson and Herb Tarlek on "WKRP in Cincinatti"- LOL! ;D
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

SDLagent

One thing that's weird about the revised text is that it;s Adelia who loaned Mr. Robinson the money. Why didn't she just speak-up in the first place and save everyone a whole lot of trouble?

tomswift2002

Quote from: SDLagent on April 25, 2010, 01:15:38 AM
One thing that's weird about the revised text is that it;s Adelia who loaned Mr. Robinson the money. Why didn't she just speak-up in the first place and save everyone a whole lot of trouble?

Well if she had then there would've been no motive for the story to continue to prove Robinson was innocent.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

hardygirl847

The switch from mean Applegates to nice Applegates seemed really fast or rushed. And yes she was the one who lent the money! I also wondered why she didn't have the common decency to say "hey, by the way, I gave him that money." This baffled me and made me kind of dislike her more. In the end, yes, they finally came around. I read this awhile ago but I still feel like it was a little too late. The Hardys are forgiving people so I guess I will be too. :)
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

SDLagent

Quote from: tomswift2002 on April 25, 2010, 12:30:07 PM
Well if she had then there would've been no motive for the story to continue to prove Robinson was innocent.

Exactly. Doesn't make ANY sense.

hardygirl847

Quote from: SDLagent on April 26, 2010, 09:03:46 PM
Exactly. Doesn't make ANY sense.

Right....So who revised it? Who decided these things? Does anyone know?

tomswift2002

hardygirl847

She revised it or made the decision to revise it? That's interesting....She wrote so many HBs, you would think she would have realized the plot problem surrounding Mrs. Applegate lending out the money. Hmm...

tomswift2002

Quote from: hardygirl847 on April 29, 2010, 03:44:26 PM
She revised it or made the decision to revise it? That's interesting....She wrote so many HBs, you would think she would have realized the plot problem surrounding Mrs. Applegate lending out the money. Hmm...

Harriet Stratemeyer Adams was the head of the Stratemeyer Syndicate from 1930-1982, and while she rewrote most of the Nancy Drew books, she only wrote a couple of Hardy Boys, both original and revised.  She did write several of the outlines, but the actual books were written by other ghost writers.

But from what I've seen, apparently it was Harriet Stratemeyer Adams who rewrote The Tower Treasure.

SDLagent

She always liked Nancy Drew more than The Hardy Boys.

hardygirl847

Quote from: SDLagent on April 30, 2010, 02:13:34 AM
She always liked Nancy Drew more than The Hardy Boys.

Whether she wrote or rewrote it.... this makes me sad. :(