July 2012 Book Club Discussion: The Shore Road Mystery (#6 Original, revised)

Started by Olivia, July 17, 2012, 06:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olivia

So what are your thoughts (i.e. liked, disliked, observed)? And your rating on this book overall?

I'm halfway through at the moment.

There is a good balance of four mysteries/cases (i.e. Shore Road gang who steals cars; Pilgrim/history stuff; kidnapping of two people; foreign weaponry). The way clues are found, and Frank and Joe's "detectiving" around town, feels realistic. Whether it's coming across something by accident (Callie being stuck underwater) or staking out roads. And there is a variety of things to help keep it interesting.

Other details, like the appearance of different characters, makes Bayport come alive: Oscar Smuff, Scratch (the drifter), and even an instance of Chief Collig's wife. Plus Chet's project of botany research, and his vegetable diet, provides good humour.

tomswift2002

I just finished the Revised version and ai have to wonder if Dave Graham was maybe giving a nod of the head, or maybe Harriet, to Leslie McFarlane with the Hardy's spending so much time on Pembroke Road.  Considering that Leslie McFarlane was born in Carlton Place, Ontario, which is only about 55 minutes from Pembroke, Ontario (and 45 minutes from Arnprior where McFarlane's father worked as a high school principle).
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

It's been a while since I've read it, but I recall The Shore Road Mystery as being quite good and entertaining. I think one good aspect to note is that The Hardy Boys are primarily in Bayport solving this mystery- I like to see some of those type mysteries at home sometimes, as well as the far-flung adventures. (Note: I've only read the revised version as this point.)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Sleuth

I came here with my comments/review of The Shore Road Mystery typed up and ready to post. ;D Should have had it done last month, but hey, it's summer, you know? 8) ;D
The Shore Road Mystery is a cool read, with a lot of danger and excitement throughout the book and more than one mystery and them winning even with the bad guys trying to kill them. Excellent stuff! 8) I read the revised version and I'm also looking forward to reading the unrevised one sometime. :)

The start with the beach party I love, very cool. 8) The fun times are truly fun and then that really brings it to heart when there is danger. I like the description of the Hardy brothers:
QuoteJoe, though impetuous, was quick-witted and dependable. Frank, more serious-minded, was inclined to think out a situation before taking action. They worked well together.
8) I agree with that description. :)

So many great characters in the book, real and enjoyable to read about: the entire Hardy family, Frank, Joe, Fenton, Laura, Aunt Gertrude, and  Joe's girlfriend, Iola, and Frank's girlfriend, Callie, and friends, Phil, Chet, Tony, Biff (cool that he's a lifeguard 8)), and Jerry. 8) And not only a lot of great characters, but I also like reading about stuff such as the Hardy brothers? boat, the Sleuth. 8) Tony?s Napoli is cool, too. 8) I like when Biff?s boat the Envoy shows up in the books as well ? didn?t want to leave it out. 8)

Oh, Chet having to deliver that delicious chocolate fudge cake!!! Lol! ;D I?ve never had caramel cake like Laura had made, that Aunt Gertrude had offered Chet, but it also sounds good. 8) Poor Chet!

They even had to battle an evil spider-man - I'm not talking about our friendly, neighborhood, and not evil, good guy Spidey aka Peter Parker, of course. ;D 8)

Frank rescuing Callie was really cool. A lot of great stuff in The Shore Road Mystery. 8) Awesome drama and action. 8) The danger when the Hardy brothers, the Dodds, and the professor were held prisoner by the criminals was very intense ? I felt fear, too. You don?t want to be interrupted when you?re reading this! I was really zoned in on being right there, every instant, with what was going on and the danger increasing and waiting to see how they would get out of that situation!

I could probably keep going but this is getting pretty long. ;D You might be able to tell I like the book and want to read it again. ;D
Joe Hardy said "Iola is alive, I can feel it. I couldn't feel this strongly about someone who was dead."

"Then I won't tell you to give up hope," Frank said softly. 8)

MacGyver

QuoteSo many great characters in the book, real and enjoyable to read about: the entire Hardy family, Frank, Joe, Fenton, Laura, Aunt Gertrude, and  Joe's girlfriend, Iola, and Frank's girlfriend, Callie, and friends, Phil, Chet, Tony, Biff (cool that he's a lifeguard ), and Jerry.  And not only a lot of great characters, but I also like reading about stuff such as the Hardy brothers? boat, the Sleuth.  Tony?s Napoli is cool, too.  I like when Biff?s boat the Envoy shows up in the books as well ? didn?t want to leave it out.
Wow- I didn't realize most all The Hardy Boys' chums show up in this book- including Jerry Gilroy! Wow! That's pretty cool. Like I said, it's been a long while since I've read it, but it's nice to know both Tony Prito's Napoli and Biff's Envoy boats show up alongside Frank and Joe's Sleuth. Tony's boat and The Hardy's boat show up fairly often but I don't think Biff's boat shows up very much at all. Nice little trivia bit there.

QuoteThey even had to battle an evil spider-man - I'm not talking about our friendly, neighborhood, and not evil, good guy Spidey aka Peter Parker, of course.   
I also liked this aspect of the book- made it interesting with a villian operating in an innovative manner. And of course, seeing how Frank and Joe would cull their resources to defeat him. :) 8)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Sleuth

Quote from: MacGyver on August 15, 2012, 05:12:45 PM
Wow- I didn't realize most all The Hardy Boys' chums show up in this book- including Jerry Gilroy! Wow! That's pretty cool. Like I said, it's been a long while since I've read it, but it's nice to know both Tony Prito's Napoli and Biff's Envoy boats show up alongside Frank and Joe's Sleuth. Tony's boat and The Hardy's boat show up fairly often but I don't think Biff's boat shows up very much at all. Nice little trivia bit there.
          I also liked this aspect of the book- made it interesting with a villian operating in an innovative manner. And of course, seeing how Frank and Joe would cull their resources to defeat him. :) 8)

Oh, I wasn't meaning that the Envoy was in this one, just that I think Biff's boat is also cool and didn't want to not mention about it. 8) :)
Joe Hardy said "Iola is alive, I can feel it. I couldn't feel this strongly about someone who was dead."

MacGyver

Oh, okay- thanks for the clarification. Do you know books it does show up in?

Hardy Sleuth

Quote from: MacGyver on August 16, 2012, 09:57:36 AM
Oh, okay- thanks for the clarification. Do you know books it does show up in?

The first book Biff's Envoy makes an appearance is in #7 The Secret of the Caves and another book its in is #16 A Figure in Hiding - this one has all three boats with the Sleuth and the Napoli. :) 8) Btw, that's revised editions - I'm also looking forward to reading all the original ones I can. :)

MacGyver

Okay- thanks for the info. I've read both those books but it's really been years now.... I've read all the revised Hardy Boys books from #1 to #58 (and all the Digests from #59 to #190, for that matter.) I remember some of the revised books better than others- and I have read a few of the Original Text versions as well. I'm close to having all of them in my collection now [in some form or another, whether Applewood's reprints or the original Grossett & Dunlap books, though most definitely aren't first printings], but it's taken a while to track them down.

Hardy Sleuth

Quote from: MacGyver on August 17, 2012, 09:26:02 AM
Okay- thanks for the info. I've read both those books but it's really been years now.... I've read all the revised Hardy Boys books from #1 to #58 (and all the Digests from #59 to #190, for that matter.) I remember some of the revised books better than others- and I have read a few of the Original Text versions as well. I'm close to having all of them in my collection now [in some form or another, whether Applewood's reprints or the original Grossett & Dunlap books, though most definitely aren't first printings], but it's taken a while to track them down.

I want to read all of the Hardy Boys Mystery Stories that I can, too - I love 'em! ;D 8) Sounds like you have an awesome collection, MacGyver! 8) I really enjoy searching for the books - it's fun, huh? ;D

MacGyver

Definitely- I hope to find some more Hardy Boys books (and others) tomorrow at a big book sale in town actually. I'm not real big on shopping in general, but I always love book shopping! :) 8)

Hardy Sleuth

Quote from: MacGyver on August 17, 2012, 05:33:28 PM
Definitely- I hope to find some more Hardy Boys books (and others) tomorrow at a big book sale in town actually. I'm not real big on shopping in general, but I always love book shopping! :) 8)

Searching for books is a whole different thing due to the level of fun it is (that's true of music, too)! ;) ;D

MacGyver

Fer sure. :) 8)
(I generally feel the same about comic books and movies or TV shows and such too.)

Hardy Sleuth

Quote from: MacGyver on August 19, 2012, 11:05:31 PM
Fer sure. :) 8)
(I generally feel the same about comic books and movies or TV shows and such too.)

Same here - love finding great comics/movies/TV shows! 8)

It would be neat to go to a big book sale and be searching among the books and find an original of The Shore Road Mystery in good condition. 8)

MacGyver

And for a good price- that's usually the issue for me. I can find some good copies of original text versions of The Hardy Boys books (and other books, for that matter)- but I also have set price limits in my mind and I just refuse to pay some of the really expensive prices some books can go for- I've got to keep a careful budget... and besides, I can usually find the books I'm looking for somewhere for a much cheaper price- it just takes a lot of patience. But that's all part of the fun of looking.