Be a Detective Series

Started by Hardy Sleuth, April 03, 2012, 12:21:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy Sleuth

This series looks very cool! 8) I love the idea of the stories and really hope I can get them all. :) There's one, #4 Secret Cargo, from a used book sale waiting for me to read and enjoy! ;D Really looking forward to it! :)
Joe Hardy said "Iola is alive, I can feel it. I couldn't feel this strongly about someone who was dead."

"Then I won't tell you to give up hope," Frank said softly. 8)

SDLagent

Yeah, I read the first one. It was pretty fun.

tomswift2002

Unfortunately it was cancelled before #'s 7 (Jungle of Evil) and #8 (Ticket To Intrigue) could be released.  But the series was written like the late-80's, early-90's series Which Way Books and Plot-Your-Own-Adventure Young Adult books that Simon & Schuster was selling like crazy.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

I've got two of the books in this series- I keep meaning to pick up the rest of the "Be A Detective" series at some point. I remember borrowing The Missing Money Mystery from the library years ago. Not only do you get a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure scenario with these books, it's also another early teamup of Frank and Joe Hardy and Nancy Drew! :)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Sleuth

Quote from: SDLagent on April 03, 2012, 12:46:45 AM
Yeah, I read the first one. It was pretty fun.

That's great! ;D 8) I already like solving the mystery along with the characters in any book I'm reading, but to actually get a say in it while sleuthing with Frank, Joe, and Nancy is really cool! ;D

Quote from: Tomswift2002 on April 03, 2012, 02:53:17 PM
Unfortunately it was cancelled before #'s 7 (Jungle of Evil) and #8 (Ticket To Intrigue) could be released.  But the series was written like the late-80's, early-90's series Which Way Books and Plot-Your-Own-Adventure Young Adult books that Simon & Schuster was selling like crazy.

:( Shame they didn't release those two books. Wonder if there are actual manuscripts connected with them or just titles and ISBNs...The titles sound very intriguing and I would really like to read the books! 8) I'm happy there are six of them, though! :)

Quote from: MacGyver on April 03, 2012, 03:02:47 PM
I've got two of the books in this series- I keep meaning to pick up the rest of the "Be A Detective" series at some point. I remember borrowing The Missing Money Mystery from the library years ago. Not only do you get a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure scenario with these books, it's also another early teamup of Frank and Joe Hardy and Nancy Drew! :)

Cool, what two volumes do you have so far? I'd like to get The Missing Money Mystery, too! I've seen the cover for that one online, I like it, it shouts "you want to read this book!". ;D I think that about a lot of the Hardy Boys books. ;D Yeah, it's definitely an excellent, smart idea! 8)
Joe Hardy said "Iola is alive, I can feel it. I couldn't feel this strongly about someone who was dead."

MacGyver

I've got #2 Danger on Ice and #4 Secret Cargo. I would like to get the other 4 eventually- it just hasn't been a real big priority right now...
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

Unfortunately, due to just how many books were in the series and the low sales numbers (because of the short time the books were out) this is one series that doesn't appear in used book stores all that often.  But also it is hard to get volumes 5 & 6 in good shape, compared to 1-4, since 5 & 6 were printed on cheaper, more acidic paper than 1-4 (so the books look very brown these days, kind of like how the the Tom Swift Sr. series had very good paper when it was printed by Grosset & Dunlap, but then the Whitman reprints were on a more acidic paper, and even now, 70-some years after Whitman and Grosset & Dunlap sotpped printing the books, the paper looks brown by both companies, but the Whitman paper has more of a brown to it).
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

MacGyver

Were #5 and #6 available in paperback form? I know the format (i.e. cover design) changed with those books and I've only ever seen them as library rebound hardbacks...

Olivia

I either have 5/6 or all 6 (two of them are with UK covers that I got by accident). They are paperback.

Hardy Sleuth

Quote from: MacGyver on April 03, 2012, 10:43:25 PM
I've got #2 Danger on Ice and #4 Secret Cargo. I would like to get the other 4 eventually- it just hasn't been a real big priority right now...

That's cool you have those two! :)

Quote from: Tomswift2002 on April 04, 2012, 08:45:01 AM
Unfortunately, due to just how many books were in the series and the low sales numbers (because of the short time the books were out) this is one series that doesn't appear in used book stores all that often.  But also it is hard to get volumes 5 & 6 in good shape, compared to 1-4, since 5 & 6 were printed on cheaper, more acidic paper than 1-4 (so the books look very brown these days, kind of like how the the Tom Swift Sr. series had very good paper when it was printed by Grosset & Dunlap, but then the Whitman reprints were on a more acidic paper, and even now, 70-some years after Whitman and Grosset & Dunlap sotpped printing the books, the paper looks brown by both companies, but the Whitman paper has more of a brown to it).

It would be nice if they were easier to find, that's for certain. Of course since they aren't, that just makes it more of a challenge and even more satisfying when they are found. :)

Quote from: Olivia on April 04, 2012, 08:56:16 PM
I either have 5/6 or all 6 (two of them are with UK covers that I got by accident). They are paperback.

That's great you have either all of them or almost all, Olivia! :)

tomswift2002

Quote from: MacGyver on April 04, 2012, 11:28:07 AM
Were #5 and #6 available in paperback form? I know the format (i.e. cover design) changed with those books and I've only ever seen them as library rebound hardbacks...

As far as I'm aware all 6 books were paperback only.  But the paper stock quality changed between #4 and #5 to where 5 & 6 were printed on cheaper, more acidic paper and when you find them nowadays the pages look as brown as the pages in a Grosset & Dunlap Tom Swift Sr. book that was printed back in the 1920's.

MacGyver

lol- I'm used to those browned pages... ;D

Hardy Sleuth

I think brown pages look kinda cool and the main thing is it doesn't take away from the story. 8)

MacGyver

Just thought I'd mention an update on this thread- I have since acquired the other books I was missing from this series, so I now have all six books in the series! :) 8)

Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys: Be A Detective Mysteries Stories
1. The Secret of the Knight's Sword
2. Danger on Ice
3. The Feathered Serpent
4. Secret Cargo
5. The Alaskan Mystery
6. The Missing Money Mystery

Now to actually get around to reading them all and going through all the possible scenarios in each book. ;D

Hardy Sleuth

Quote from: MacGyver on June 10, 2014, 11:24:31 AM
Just thought I'd mention an update on this thread- I have since acquired the other books I was missing from this series, so I now have all six books in the series! :) 8)

Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys: Be A Detective Mysteries Stories
1. The Secret of the Knight's Sword
2. Danger on Ice
3. The Feathered Serpent
4. Secret Cargo
5. The Alaskan Mystery
6. The Missing Money Mystery

Now to actually get around to reading them all and going through all the possible scenarios in each book. ;D
\

Cool, MacGyver! 8) ;D That's great to have a number of scenarios to read! I want to have this collection, too. 8)