Hardy Boys Adventures #6 - The Battle of Bayport

Started by kosmicdust, October 26, 2013, 06:59:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kosmicdust

Now THIS is what I call a good book cover:  :o

http://postimg.org/image/s8yqrzcer/

MacGyver

Definitely. For the most part, the Hardy Boys Adventures covers have been spectacular! :) 8)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

MacGyver

I saw from the Hardy and Drew Mysteries blog that Simon & Schuster has posted the synopsis for this book:

Bayport goes back in time when a Revolutionary War-era battleship is discovered, along with a treasure trove of historic artifacts. To celebrate, the town stages a reenactment of the historic Battle of Bayport, complete with antique artillery, canons, and tricorn hats. Even Frank and Joe Hardy are decked out in full Colonial costume, fighting over freedom and taxes on opposite sides of the battle line.

But things get a little too real when a stray shot leaves Bayport?s biggest benefactor, Don Sterling, without a pulse. Wait a minute?weren?t those muskets supposed to be unloaded? And even though the Hardy Boys have technically retired from solving mysteries, they can?t help but get involved, especially when a favorite teacher turns out to be a prime suspect. Is someone trying to frame Mr. Lazin? And who would want Don Sterling dead? Murder by reenactment is one the Hardys haven?t seen before, but don?t think they?re not up for the challenge!

-sounds pretty interesting. Hopefully the story's plot will live up to the excitement of the cover art. :) 8)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Sleuth

Quote from: MacGyver on January 27, 2014, 11:43:54 AM
I saw from the Hardy and Drew Mysteries blog that Simon & Schuster has posted the synopsis for this book:

Bayport goes back in time when a Revolutionary War-era battleship is discovered, along with a treasure trove of historic artifacts. To celebrate, the town stages a reenactment of the historic Battle of Bayport, complete with antique artillery, canons, and tricorn hats. Even Frank and Joe Hardy are decked out in full Colonial costume, fighting over freedom and taxes on opposite sides of the battle line.

But things get a little too real when a stray shot leaves Bayport?s biggest benefactor, Don Sterling, without a pulse. Wait a minute?weren?t those muskets supposed to be unloaded? And even though the Hardy Boys have technically retired from solving mysteries, they can?t help but get involved, especially when a favorite teacher turns out to be a prime suspect. Is someone trying to frame Mr. Lazin? And who would want Don Sterling dead? Murder by reenactment is one the Hardys haven?t seen before, but don?t think they?re not up for the challenge!

-sounds pretty interesting. Hopefully the story's plot will live up to the excitement of the cover art. :) 8)

Same here, I hope the action from the cover is as exciting in the book. 8)
Joe Hardy said "Iola is alive, I can feel it. I couldn't feel this strongly about someone who was dead."

"Then I won't tell you to give up hope," Frank said softly. 8)

tomswift2002

"Murder by reenactment is one the Hardys haven?t seen before" --- The Nancy Drew & Hardy Boys SuperMystery'88 book Exhibition Of Evil also featured the Hardy's in a re-enactment: in that case it was the Battle Of Yorktown.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

Hardy Sleuth

Quote from: tomswift2002 on January 27, 2014, 07:23:52 PM
"Murder by reenactment is one the Hardys haven?t seen before" --- The Nancy Drew & Hardy Boys SuperMystery'88 book Exhibition Of Evil also featured the Hardy's in a re-enactment: in that case it was the Battle Of Yorktown.

Maybe the Simon and Schuster synopsis is referring specifically that the murder takes place during the re-enactment. I have noticed, too, that sometimes the publisher and/or book writers miss details from various books. I haven't read Exhibition of Evil, is it good? :)
Joe Hardy said "Iola is alive, I can feel it. I couldn't feel this strongly about someone who was dead."

"Then I won't tell you to give up hope," Frank said softly. 8)

MacGyver

I hope so- I'm actually planning to read Exhibition of Evil next, as soon as I finally finish The Swiss Family Robinson by Johann Wyss. :) 8)

As to the "murder by reenactment" bit, I suppose Simon & Schuster meant it's one The Hardys haven't faced in "Hardy Boys Adventures" books before. (I don't think they're that detailed on continuity generally...And plus, they're probably considering this line a separate thing from everything else, much like the Undercover Brothers books were.)

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Are they already at number six? I only have the first two of this series.

MacGyver

Five books have been released so far- the sixth book releases June 3rd. later this year.

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on March 03, 2014, 09:20:08 AM
Five books have been released so far- the sixth book releases June 3rd. later this year.

I just picked up books four and five, they're okay, but I did like the casefiles better.

MacGyver

Yeah- I think it will be hard to top The Hardy Boys Casefiles. That's one of my favorite series- I also love the original Grosset & Dunlap books (both original and revised text) and the Digests. The Undercover Brothers and Hardy Boys Adventures are okay but nowhere near those other series as far as I'm concerned. (Though I do think HBA is still a lot better than UB.)

tomswift2002

I keep forgetting to order the new books.  The Coles near me for some reason never carried the series in store, and every time I go there I keep forgetting which HBA I need to order through their kiosk.  And Wal-Mart's only carried the paperbacks of the first two books. 
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on March 05, 2014, 10:35:15 AM
Yeah- I think it will be hard to top The Hardy Boys Casefiles. That's one of my favorite series- I also love the original Grosset & Dunlap books (both original and revised text) and the Digests. The Undercover Brothers and Hardy Boys Adventures are okay but nowhere near those other series as far as I'm concerned. (Though I do think HBA is still a lot better than UB.)

How are they better then the UB's?

tomswift2002

Quote from: Katie on March 05, 2014, 07:02:59 PM
How are they better then the UB's?

The criminals are not trying to kill people with hot dogs!

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: tomswift2002 on March 05, 2014, 07:43:29 PM
The criminals are not trying to kill people with hot dogs!

Oh yeah.  I haven't read one in a while so I forgot that part.