Disappointed with the adventures series

Started by goldie3, April 08, 2017, 08:44:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

goldie3

So, I just read the first 2 books of the series, and I was sorely disappointed.  Both Frank and Joe didn't seem like the original Frank and Joe, it seemed like two different characters with the same name. The mystery was weird, there was almost no action. I'm usually more fond of Frank and Joe being more cerebral, but this one didn't even have that. I really want them to come up with something like case file, and then really should get done with that first person narrative.

Hardy Boys UB Fan

I agree. I've been saying for awhile they should redo, or relaunch the Casefile series.

tomswift2002

As I pointed out in another topic, the Adventures series seems aimed at the 8-12 year-old market (or roughly the Grade 2 to 6 market) whereas the Original series, especially the hardcovers and Wanderer books were aimed at the 10-14 year old (or Grade 4 to 8) market.  The Casefiles were primarily aimed at Grade 6-10 readers.

But I also wonder if the number of school shootings and school violence incidents have led to S&S trying to make the books tamer so that no one could blame them for possible having suggestive literature.  Since to me, the amount of violence in the G&D hardcovers that are on the market is pretty tame, but next to an Adventure story, you might as well be reading a Casefiles, while an Adventure story is closer to A Secret File or Clues Brothers in terms of violence.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: tomswift2002 on April 10, 2017, 08:16:51 AM
As I pointed out in another topic, the Adventures series seems aimed at the 8-12 year-old market (or roughly the Grade 2 to 6 market) whereas the Original series, especially the hardcovers and Wanderer books were aimed at the 10-14 year old (or Grade 4 to 8) market.  The Casefiles were primarily aimed at Grade 6-10 readers.

But I also wonder if the number of school shootings and school violence incidents have led to S&S trying to make the books tamer so that no one could blame them for possible having suggestive literature.  Since to me, the amount of violence in the G&D hardcovers that are on the market is pretty tame, but next to an Adventure story, you might as well be reading a Casefiles, while an Adventure story is closer to A Secret File or Clues Brothers in terms of violence.

That shouldn't be any reason for them not to redo the Casefiles...that series never had a school shooting in it. I'd buy them in a heartbeat.

MacGyver

I don't think the Casefiles ever dealt with a school shooting- wow, I think that would be a really touchy subject for the Hardys to deal with....but the Casefiles did have numerous situations where the Hardy Boys were fighting against criminals with guns, including terrorists, and often trying to stop gun violence. (Hostages of Hate comes to mind as one such example- the book involved Frank and Joe stopped an airplane hijacking.) I think the point tomswift2002 was trying to make was that the spate of recent school shootings (there was just one today in San Bernadino, CA sadly :() might be one reason Simon & Schuster has tried to tone down the violence level in the Adventures books.
      I tend to agree on this. I'm not blaming gun violence (or any other kind of violence) all on such books or TV shows, movies, video games, songs, etc. (It's a heart matter ultimately- it comes down to sin bound up in our hearts. That's why we need a Saviour from that sin- which is what I celebrate this weekend at Easter when Jesus died and rose to do just that. :))
I don't personally care to see a Casefiles relaunch, but I don't want to dash the hopes for those who would enjoy it. I do feel though that the current comics from Dynamite is probably the closest you will get- but you never know.....
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on April 10, 2017, 10:38:26 PM
I don't think the Casefiles ever dealt with a school shooting- wow, I think that would be a really touchy subject for the Hardys to deal with....but the Casefiles did have numerous situations where the Hardy Boys were fighting against criminals with guns, including terrorists, and often trying to stop gun violence. (Hostages of Hate comes to mind as one such example- the book involved Frank and Joe stopped an airplane hijacking.) I think the point tomswift2002 was trying to make was that the spate of recent school shootings (there was just one today in San Bernadino, CA sadly :( ) might be one reason Simon & Schuster has tried to tone down the violence level in the Adventures books.
      I tend to agree on this. I'm not blaming gun violence (or any other kind of violence) all on such books or TV shows, movies, video games, songs, etc. (It's a heart matter ultimately- it comes down to sin bound up in our hearts. That's why we need a Saviour from that sin- which is what I celebrate this weekend at Easter when Jesus died and rose to do just that. :) )
I don't personally care to see a Casefiles relaunch, but I don't want to dash the hopes for those who would enjoy it. I do feel though that the current comics from Dynamite is probably the closest you will get- but you never know.....

The Adventures series makes it like violence don't happen, like they're toning it down. :-\

tomswift2002

Quote from: MacGyver on April 10, 2017, 10:38:26 PM
I don't think the Casefiles ever dealt with a school shooting- wow, I think that would be a really touchy subject for the Hardys to deal with....but the Casefiles did have numerous situations where the Hardy Boys were fighting against criminals with guns, including terrorists, and often trying to stop gun violence. (Hostages of Hate comes to mind as one such example- the book involved Frank and Joe stopped an airplane hijacking.) I think the point tomswift2002 was trying to make was that the spate of recent school shootings (there was just one today in San Bernadino, CA sadly :() might be one reason Simon & Schuster has tried to tone down the violence level in the Adventures books.

I'm not referring to the recent school shootings as the only things, but since the Original series ended in 2005, S&S seems to be taking the events of 9/11, the very terrorist attacks, the gun violence, the school shootings, the school bullying & cyber bullying and telling the authors to not include those subjects in the books. 
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: tomswift2002 on April 11, 2017, 07:15:54 AM
I'm not referring to the recent school shootings as the only things, but since the Original series ended in 2005, S&S seems to be taking the events of 9/11, the very terrorist attacks, the gun violence, the school shootings, the school bullying & cyber bullying and telling the authors to not include those subjects in the books.

Yes, I get that. But then why were they so into Russia (the USSR) and the wall coming down? That I gather was a big deal.

MacGyver

QuoteI'm not referring to the recent school shootings as the only things, but since the Original series ended in 2005, S&S seems to be taking the events of 9/11, the very terrorist attacks, the gun violence, the school shootings, the school bullying & cyber bullying and telling the authors to not include those subjects in the books.
Okay- yes, all those things collectively may well be reasons Simon & Schuster would prefer to avoid such touchy subjects.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

Quote from: Katie on April 11, 2017, 10:15:30 AM
Yes, I get that. But then why were they so into Russia (the USSR) and the wall coming down? That I gather was a big deal.

When the Casefiles were launched S&S was modelling the series on the James Bond and Indiana Jones series.  Just like the Original series had, originally, been modelled on Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes (which had just seen Doyle's last Holmes story published in Strand magazine in April 1927, and "The Casebook Of Sherlock Holmes" would be published in June 1927 , while the first 3 Hardy's were released in May 1927.) And the 60's to 80's Bond was battling the Soviet Union, while Jones was battling 1940's Nazi's, so in both cases it made sense to have the Hardy's battling something that could be an allegory for the current political world.

I have no idea what series S&S were using to model either the UB or Adventures series on, but if it's the current James Bond franchise, then it is a very weak model, as I can only see a few things, but it's very weak.  If it's an updating of the Sherlock Holmes stories, again it is extremely weak. 

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: tomswift2002 on April 11, 2017, 04:48:37 PM
When the Casefiles were launched S&S was modelling the series on the James Bond and Indiana Jones series.  Just like the Original series had, originally, been modelled on Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes (which had just seen Doyle's last Holmes story published in Strand magazine in April 1927, and "The Casebook Of Sherlock Holmes" would be published in June 1927 , while the first 3 Hardy's were released in May 1927.) And the 60's to 80's Bond was battling the Soviet Union, while Jones was battling 1940's Nazi's, so in both cases it made sense to have the Hardy's battling something that could be an allegory for the current political world.

I have no idea what series S&S were using to model either the UB or Adventures series on, but if it's the current James Bond franchise, then it is a very weak model, as I can only see a few things, but it's very weak.  If it's an updating of the Sherlock Holmes stories, again it is extremely weak.

The Sherlock Holmes stories actually got a very good update. I'm think of BBC's Sherlock here. I loved it. But yeah, I'd like to know what S&S is doing with UB's and Adventures, they seem so kiddish compared to what I'm used to.

tomswift2002

Quote from: Katie on April 13, 2017, 09:19:56 AM
The Sherlock Holmes stories actually got a very good update. I'm think of BBC's Sherlock here. I loved it. But yeah, I'd like to know what S&S is doing with UB's and Adventures, they seem so kiddish compared to what I'm used to.
Don't forget there are 2 updates of Sherlock Holmes running on TV right now.  There's the BBC Sherlock Holmes, but then there's also CBS's Sherlock Holmes in "Elementary" where it is basically 'Sherlock Holmes in New York' rather than Scotland or the UK.  Not to mention, but the CBS serious has actually brought back a plot element that Conan Doyle had put in the original stories, because it was legal back in the 1800's, but 20th century adaptations have dropped it, and that is Sherlock's drug use.  In the Conan Doyle stories Sherlock uses cocaine and occasionally morphine. 

MacGyver

That's interesting to hear about the CBS series- I didn't know they included Holmes' drug habit. Of course, this sort of thing has been seen before on US television- particularly on House, M.D. (For anyone who doesn't know, that show actually is very much inspired by the Sherlock Holmes stories, though obviously altered in setting.)
       Of course, Elementary also changed Watson's sex so that there is a female Watson on the show. To me, that very much changes the whole dynamic of Holmes' and Watson's relationship as colleagues and friends and I don't know that I care for adding that romantic kind of angle.
I definitely prefer the BBC Sherlock series- or better yet, the Jeremy Brett series from the '80s.

Bigfootman

Quote from: tomswift2002 on April 11, 2017, 07:15:54 AM
I doubt S&S has a ban on cyber bullying stories as the GD Identity Mystery trilogy had Cyber Bullying as a major part of the second book. That being said, the ghostwriter might been able to convince them to make an exception.

I should note that in Ottawa at least, you can only borrow the first 3 books in the Adventures series at the library. (though you can borrow most of the Nancy Drew Diaries books) It's confusing as  the third and fourth books are a two part story, and you can only get the first part  from the library!

I will also say that despite borrowing some the Nancy Drew Diaries from the library, I never got around to reading them, nor have I read an Adventures book.

http://bigfootmanshardyboysandnancydrew.blogspot.ca

Most Recent Post:
"Tom Swift Inventors' Academy" Cancelled?

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: Bigfootman on April 27, 2017, 02:33:53 PM
I doubt S&S has a ban on cyber bullying stories as the GD Identity Mystery trilogy had Cyber Bullying as a major part of the second book. That being said, the ghostwriter might been able to convince them to make an exception.

I should note that in Ottawa at least, you can only borrow the first 3 books in the Adventures series at the library. (though you can borrow most of the Nancy Drew Diaries books) It's confusing as  the third and fourth books are a two part story, and you can only get the first part  from the library!

I will also say that despite borrowing some the Nancy Drew Diaries from the library, I never got around to reading them, nor have I read an Adventures book.

I wish the UB series would have done a with a school shooting or something that we could relate to in today's times. Oh well, there's always fanfic that I guess I can write.