Girlfriends for the Hardys?

Started by Hardy Man, September 27, 2009, 07:08:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy Man

One major mistake that I think the publishers made in doing the UBs (besides putting them on the market) is excluding longtime girlfriends Callie and Iola. In an interview with the publisher, it was stated that the publishers intentionally did this so that the Hardys would be free to meet other women on their cases and not feel guilty about starting relationships (like the relationship of Nancy and Frank in the generation one super-mysteries) but I don't really agree. The presence of girlfriends added a more human side to the Hardys and caused the reader to see them in more interactions in and around Bayport (besides, it was sort of enjoyable to see Callie try to prove herself to be independent in several situations and end up making out with Frank in the end in the Casefiles). But what do you think. Should the Hardys have GFs or not? ???

tomswift2002

Callie and Iola also added reasons for the boys to go out bowling and do other activites that kids their age like to do with their girlfriends.  Instead we have two teenagers who have no life and are constantly running out of excuses to give to their mom and aunt.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

Hardy Man

Well, it can't really be said that they have no lives. As seen in in the Double Danger trilogy and Murder at the Mall, the boys are capable of socializing. But perhaps without girlfriends, they have no real motivation to perhaps request time off from cases or take breaks to do things with other people. Consequently, they spend most of their time solving cases or thinking about who could have killed who and why.

Olivia

Surprisingly, I'm actually kind of in the middle when it comes to whether or not the Hardys should have girlfriends. I think it depends on the series, for me.

Having girlfriends (generally) worked for the Casefiles.

Not having girlfriends makes sense for UBs.

That being said, if they did have girlfriends in the UBs, it would be worse than them lying to their family because they would be under greater scrutiny IMO. Their family trusts them more and they live at home, so they actually see Frank and Joe once in a while.

I also feel like it would be a really immature relationship (particularly for Joe) because I don't think he'd want to commit the way the girl would want, and all his time away would have his girlfriend suspicious of cheating.

They also wouldn't really be able to use the girls within the story - they'd just be background like their parrot (weird example, I know, but it proves my point). At least the parrot is serves as something: "comic relief".

It worked better in the Casefiles because they are just normal guys who happen to be detectives, and they had a sense of maturity without being uncool.

tomswift2002

Quote from: Olivia on May 02, 2010, 06:00:29 PM
It worked better in the Casefiles because they are just normal guys who happen to be detectives, and they had a sense of maturity without being uncool.

Who just happened to also work for the government on numerous occassions.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

hardygirl847

I think girlfriends make the Hardys more accessible and realistic. However, I haven't read enough UBs to really get an understanding on if it works within the UB world. I agree that the Casefiles were just how Olivia described. This is by far my favorite series so I have to back up the girlfriends on this one...even though Iola gets blown up. I just like that Callie and Vanessa make them more well-rounded. Yeah they are detectives and solve cases, but they can be real people too who have friends and love interests. Plus leaving them out seems to be a slap in the face to the history of the Hardy Boys (even though their importance has fluctuated since book 1).

Also how come world famous detective Fenton have a wife, two sons, AND a successful career but his good looking sons are completely socially inept?? Yeah I don't buy that. Fenton would want his kids to be well-rounded, social, but also have a good work ethic.

So my final answer is...give them girlfriends but do not let the girls take over a story line or their lives. Keep a healthy balance between Superhero Sleuths and Average "Joes". :)
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)