Couldn't think up a good name for this topic...

Started by Sam Spade, August 30, 2008, 01:55:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomswift2002

Sort of similar to what SDLagent and I were thinking of originally.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

bozonessinc

Why would they end it, is that not a huge loss of profit, why not continue a good think. Simonsays will want to make more and more money, so as long as there is a market for new books won't they want to keep it going??

I mean   alot of people go in and get every book and alot of people have read the original hardy boys so alot of people are going to want to keep going with this series so simonsays will continue it for the money. They will make less selling  old books then if they continue with a good series.

Now, if they start another series and keep the other one going, that might be good because then we could still have are other books to read and try the new ones, whereas just taking one  away and replacing it doesnt work.

Why not put out a series called ATAC: _____ and then have training sessions ect. and other agents on it too!!

Olivia

Quote from: bozonessinc on September 26, 2008, 11:12:28 AM
Why would they end it, is that not a huge loss of profit, why not continue a good think. Simonsays will want to make more and more money, so as long as there is a market for new books won't they want to keep it going??

I mean   alot of people go in and get every book and alot of people have read the original hardy boys so alot of people are going to want to keep going with this series so simonsays will continue it for the money. They will make less selling  old books then if they continue with a good series.

Now, if they start another series and keep the other one going, that might be good because then we could still have are other books to read and try the new ones, whereas just taking one  away and replacing it doesnt work.

Why not put out a series called ATAC: _____ and then have training sessions ect. and other agents on it too!!

In all fairness for the first highlighted point, we don't know how much profit they are making for sure. They might just be making ends meet on that series or since S&S is a pretty big company, they may make a lot more profit in other areas so it balances out the loss on the UBs (if there is any loss).

As for the second point, it's actually more beneficial to sell the older books because
1. They are already mostly paid for in the production/content sense (the ghostwriters and other people)
2. The books are already printed, so they don't have any printing costs
3. If they are around after all this time (especially the Originals), people are still buying them

tomswift2002

Quote from: Perfection on September 26, 2008, 02:38:04 PM
In all fairness for the first highlighted point, we don't know how much profit they are making for sure. They might just be making ends meet on that series or since S&S is a pretty big company, they may make a lot more profit in other areas so it balances out the loss on the UBs (if there is any loss).

As for the second point, it's actually more beneficial to sell the older books because
1. They are already mostly paid for in the production/content sense (the ghostwriters and other people)
2. The books are already printed, so they don't have any printing costs
3. If they are around after all this time (especially the Originals), people are still buying them

I'd also like to add a 4th point to that, considering that we saw a rerelease of 8 Digests in 2005 it is obvious that the Original Series is still doing well and from what my sources have told me, the majority of those 8 books have hit the printers at least twice since they were released in 2005.  So obviously people like the writing quality that is in those old books, whereas in the newer books, they only way that they manage to get up to 7 or 8 printings is that the Undercover Brothers series was new and it was a novelty for people to pick up the new books to see how they were.  But now the new Undercover Brothers books are not moving as fast and a lot of stores are dropping the middle and end books from their shelves.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

Bigfootman

As I have said I think that they should keep the GNs because in all honsty, I would be depresed if those ended so soon. As for the UB books, I'd keep those going until Desember 2009, that way, and they should get rid of the triogies. Then they should end the UBs, maybe make a spinoff staring an all new agent. See my earlyer post for what should happen next.

http://bigfootmanshardyboysandnancydrew.blogspot.ca

Most Recent Post:
"Tom Swift Inventors' Academy" Cancelled?

SDLagent

Maybe in the last UB book, Vijay should become a field agent and S&S could take the Hardys in anther derection, while publishing new ATAC storeis in the Vijay Patel: ATAC Agent series.

Olivia

You know, that would be a little weird if it was all in first person. It's just him by himself unless he has a partner.

SDLagent

Actually, most first person books are by one person. The UB is the only time I've ever seen the see-saw/flip, flop/back and forth/yo-yo/jack in a box/merry go around/you take it, I gor it narration style.

tomswift2002

Quote from: SDLagent on September 28, 2008, 01:26:57 AM
Actually, most first person books are by one person. The UB is the only time I've ever seen the see-saw/flip, flop/back and forth/yo-yo/jack in a box/merry go around/you take it, I gor it narration style.

I haven't read the book yet, but back in June-October 1998 Simon & Schuster published the Captain's Table mini-series in the Star Trek line and the first book, War Dragons, was a first person narrative from the points of Captain James T. Kirk and Captain Hikaru Sulu.  But from what other people have told me who have read all the novels, out of the 6 novels published back then, War Dragons was considered the worst of the 6.  The other 5 novels featured just the Captain of the series (Picard for TNG, Sisko for DS9, Janeway for Voyager, Calhoun for New Frontier and Captain Pike for the Original Star Trek Pilot) narrating the story. 

So Simon & Schuster does have experience with the 2-person first person narrative, but from what has been printed in the past, the majority of people find that it is not the best way to tell a story.  Even in 2005 when $&$ printed the Tales From The Captain's Table all the stories printed in that volume were told from the point of view of 1-person, not 2.

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/War_Dragons

bozonessinc

I like the idea of adding Vijay into the mix of things, but in this world, a better way to do it would be to start a book series called, ATAC: ______ the first book could be called. ATAC: Vijay Patel.  And well you could use other agents too. I mean this is really only for people who like the ATAC series, because if you don't you would not like an ATAC series.

What do you people think of a series like that. And would somebody want to suggest this to S+S so that maybe it could come out, I remember in another thread someone saying that they would like stories about going through there training sessions.

So I mean I think you guys would like that kind of a series.

Olivia

Yeah, I thought about that after I posted. And I totally forgot about Nancy Drew too (Girl Detective) ::)

I guess I just mean it would be something kind of new and somewhat unusual/unique - Vijay on his own with ATAC.

bozonessinc - It would be more fitting to have a series like that instead of having the HBs do it. But I don't know.

SDLagent

Yes, this would be a good idea. Frank and Joe could leave ATAC, but then $&$ could start a new series about ATAC. So then ATAC fans would be happy, as well as Hardy Boys fans.

bozonessinc

As I said in another topic, I think that someone should invite SandS to see our opinions off the forum. Right? I mean then we could have our Atac series. Do you think that they are even considering it as an idea at the moment? Do they consider that?

Bigfootman

There's this book called Bifocal that has two first person narrators.

http://bigfootmanshardyboysandnancydrew.blogspot.ca

Most Recent Post:
"Tom Swift Inventors' Academy" Cancelled?

4567TME

Quote from: tomswift2002 on September 03, 2008, 06:11:10 PM
How about we all sign our names and include our email/phone numbers to petition to help out?
I'll try to advertise on my GameSpot blog (sunshineisles2). I think the command to spread the message on a network involving almost 10s of millions of people will help.