Hardy Boys Fan Fiction

Started by JoeHardyRocks, February 13, 2011, 12:11:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hardygirl847

Mac- :)

I'm just curious...do you all like fanfic that is close to the originals or ones that add a lot more depth into the plots, situations, storylines, relationships, etc?

Does that matter or does it have more to do with how well it is written??
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

MacGyver

Hmmm- okay. I like some fanfiction. To be fair, some fanfiction is not always all that great. Some (like slash fiction obviously) just does stupid and ludicrous things with the characters that are incredibly WAY out of line with the theme of the original source material. I definitely don't care for that kind of thing.
    Most of the fanfiction I've read has been stuff based on TV shows I like or perhaps movies. Not too much on other categories. I usually like fanfiction particularly for short-lived shows or for ones that I've seen every episode a gazillion times over because it adds some new adventures to enjoy with the cast. And yes- I definitely like fanfic that is close to the original source material- that should be a given most every time. (Except for instances where someone is purposely trying to bend the characters for some particular reason- and there may be times to do that- but there are very few instances I can think of where I would care for it- except possibly for the purposes of humor- clean humor, that is.)
    I certainly appreciate fanfic stories that add more depth into the plots, situations, storylines and relationships and such- that's always good. It is good if it's well written too of course- but I can overlook some writing issues in favor of an author's obvious enthusiasm for the source material and if they in fact do have a good storyline wrapped within there. (It's the thought that counts in this case.)
        I don't know if that really answered your question or not. But when it comes to fanfiction with The Hardy Boys (though I have read a very few- but mainly ones that just were really interesting storylines to me)- I don't read much on this because I'm still reading plenty of the books within the official canon. And most times, I defer to the actual officially published books- though some fanfiction authors sometimes seem to have a better grasp on the characters than some of the officially published books. (I'm saying this in general here- not necessarily specifically to The Hardy Boys.) In this case, it's probably because ghostwriters may only be writing out of obligation to get a paycheck and not really have their heart in it- or not really care- and fanfiction writers are obviously writing it because they do care and they earnestly enjoy the characters and want to add to the fun in the storylines.
      The other main thing I enjoy about fanfiction is that since it is all just for fun and obviously most likely won't and can't ever be officially published (what with the copyright infringement and breaches and all)- it's really fun to do crossover stories with favorite characters that might never meet otherwise. I do enjoy some of those. In fact, I have to credit fanfiction with introducing me to Quantum Leap. I first got interested by reading an Early Edition crossover with Quantum Leap story, which was quite well written. (And both shows definitely have a number of things in common.) And from there, I wound up watching every episode of QL- and yeah- it's an awesome show, as is EE. :)
  So anyway, those scenarios are fun. And that's pretty much my feelings on fanfiction.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

hardygirl847

Aww Mac! You didn't have to write an essay! But you write so well...I'm glad you did. You expressed your opinion wonderfully. I generally like fanfics that stick close to the originals but if it's really written well...I find myself enjoying plot lines or certain additions that I would have thought I wouldn't like.

Crossovers can be cool but sometimes the author only knows one character or tv show cast more than the other. Then it becomes a bit one sided. I'm not really into QL or EE but that sounds cool!
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

MacGyver

Aw- well, thanks. I try, such as it is.  :)
You do a great job of saying something concisely and clearly that I have to blather on for a while to say. ;D
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

AlwaysAJoefan

Quote from: MacGyver on February 23, 2011, 01:11:40 AM
You do a great job of saying something concisely and clearly that I have to blather on for a while to say. ;D

But it's fun to read your "blathering." ;)
Want to cure this country? Try 2 Chronicles 7:14...

hardygirl847

Quote from: MacGyver on February 23, 2011, 01:11:40 AM

Thanks Mac!! :) I appreciate that. And for the record, I don't think you blather.

MacGyver

Well, thanks for saying that  :)

hardygirl847