Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys Super Mystery #5: Bonfire Masquerade

Started by MacGyver, December 22, 2010, 10:39:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: JoeHardyRocks on February 18, 2011, 05:54:52 PM
I'm sure they don't pre-choose how many pages the book would be. They probably just write it, and it turns out how it turns out.

But I wonder why the OT versions of The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew were longer then they are now?

MacGyver

Well, it depends. In previous series, there was usually a set number of pages you could expect the book to be. (i.e. Original 58 books, Digests, Casefiles) Sure, some might be a bit shorter or a bit longer by a page or two, but generally most books were about this set number of pages.
That number seems to have jumped around a good bit with a lot of the UB/GD universe books.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on February 18, 2011, 11:35:46 PM
Well, it depends. In previous series, there was usually a set number of pages you could expect the book to be. (i.e. Original 58 books, Digests, Casefiles) Sure, some might be a bit shorter or a bit longer by a page or two, but generally most books were about this set number of pages.
That number seems to have jumped around a good bit with a lot of the UB/GD universe books.

I got the final book in the Lost trilogy and someone said the D word! ::) :o

MacGyver

Yeah, these kinds of incidences are not making me want to read the UB books any time soon... >:(
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on February 18, 2011, 11:45:46 PM
Yeah, these kinds of incidences are not making me want to read the UB books any time soon... >:(

Did they ever throw swear words out so freely before the UB's? :-\

MacGyver

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on February 18, 2011, 11:49:39 PM
Never.

That's what I thought. ::) What do you think of The New Casefiles cover?

Do you think they've gong off the deep end? This looks almost like you know a occult theme . . . . but I hope I'm wrong. :-\

MacGyver

It does look like something I would be wary of at first- but I've read and it actually does steer clear of the supernatural theme its name would imply.

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on February 19, 2011, 12:09:30 PM
It does look like something I would be wary of at first- but I've read and it actually does steer clear of the supernatural theme its name would imply.

Good. Glad that's not the case. :) Did you read the Nancy Drew one?

tomswift2002

Quote from: MacGyver on February 18, 2011, 11:35:46 PM

Well, with the pre-1959 books the Stratemeyer Syndicate told their writer's to usually write a story between 24 and 25 Chapters long, and they couldn't go longer than 250 pages, otherwise the Syndicate was afraid that kids would get bored with the book.  Of course, prior to Edward Stratemeyer's death in 1930, he allowed the authors to get away with 23 chapters as a minimum, but there were some books (like The Mystery of Cabin Island) where Stratemeyer actually found the manuscript too short and asked the ghost writer to expand the book.  (In Cabin Island, if you read the "Fox Hunt" chapter, and then read the beginning of the next chapter, you'll notice how both chapters start with a mention about Hanleigh's warning, since the "Fox Hunt" chapter was originally not in the originaly manuscript.)

But then in 1959 Harriet Stratemeyer Adams had the books shortened in order to compete with television, since now kids were able to have stories all wrapped up with in a half-hour or an hour.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

Though I could tell it was kinda just thrown in at random to lengthen the book, I actually liked the "Fox Hunt" chapter in the original text version of The Mystery of Cabin Island - it was a fun little adventure with The Hardy Boys and their friends. :)

hardygirl847

OK...first off...the "D" word in the last Lost book was hardly noticeable and really not a big deal. Sorry....that's IMO. This was a decent trilogy for the UBs. I couldn't put it down. It was really interesting...and stuff happens to Frank that doesn't normally happen. So I was happy to have purchased them. I really can't say that about all of the UBs.

The Zombies graphic novel is not like a cult and is not bad at all. It's certainly worth reading. This is coming from someone who DOESN'T like zombies too, btw.

I have not read the Vampire slayer ND graphic novels though...so I can't speak for those.

As for the amount of pages, etc....Yeah, they have a limit and they stay as close to that as possible. After writing some of my own fan fic, I have to say that this could be a challenge. I am sure there are deleted files or wads of paper in someone's trash because they had to revise the text into fitting the perimeters.

It really stinks that we will never see those pages.

Oh well....I guess they weren't good enough to stay. But I'd still like to see what was originally written. This reminds me I need to find some older (but not horribly expensive) OT versions....
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: hardygirl847 on February 22, 2011, 12:33:29 PM
OK...first off...the "D" word in the last Lost book was hardly noticeable and really not a big deal. Sorry....that's IMO. This was a decent trilogy for the UBs. I couldn't put it down. It was really interesting...and stuff happens to Frank that doesn't normally happen. So I was happy to have purchased them. I really can't say that about all of the UBs.

The Zombies graphic novel is not like a cult and is not bad at all. It's certainly worth reading. This is coming from someone who DOESN'T like zombies too, btw.

I have not read the Vampire slayer ND graphic novels though...so I can't speak for those.

As for the amount of pages, etc....Yeah, they have a limit and they stay as close to that as possible. After writing some of my own fan fic, I have to say that this could be a challenge. I am sure there are deleted files or wads of paper in someone's trash because they had to revise the text into fitting the perimeters.

It really stinks that we will never see those pages.

Oh well....I guess they weren't good enough to stay. But I'd still like to see what was originally written. This reminds me I need to find some older (but not horribly expensive) OT versions....

I know. It just kind of shocks me when they swear, that's all. :-[

tomswift2002

Quote from: hardygirl847 on February 22, 2011, 12:33:29 PM

You might want to pick up the six Applewood books that are still on the market (The Tower Treasure thru to The Shore Road Mystery, since those are facsimile editions that run around $14.99 USD for each individual book, or Applewood just released a box set late last year for around $50 USD) since those are the Leslie McFarlane originals.  Unfortunately Applewood is no longer reprinting The Mystery Of Cabin Island.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

All swearing is bad as far as I'm concerned- it saddens me to know that it has seeped into The Hardy Boys- but that is the downward spiral of culture- once you write off one thing as not too bad, everything keeps sliding with it.
(This was not meant to be a personal affront to anyone else's beliefs here- just my perspective on it.)