Why have the UBs not been canceled yet?

Started by Hardy Man, September 27, 2009, 02:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SDLagent

Maybe so but I think it's extremely unlikely that the series will go back to the original numbering. Only time will tell, though.

MacGyver

Well, for one more confirmation (if we really needed any more)- I just got a copy of Movie Mayhem, (Book Three in the Deathstalker Trilogy and #39 in The Hardy Boys Undercover Brothers series) and instead of the usual note on the back cover about the next upcoming book- it instead has an ad saying to read the first two books in the Deathstalker trilogy, with the cover art of the previous two books shown. So it seems pretty certain this is the last book in this series. And if that Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys Supermystery ('07) book comes through in the summer, that will be probably be the last book set in the UB universe. (Well, that one or whatever Nancy Drew: Girl Detective book is last to be released.... whichever comes first.)
    So now with both the UB and GD series winding down- outside of this one last crossover book in the summer- and with the graphic novels down for the count at the moment- it looks we will have a bit of a Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew dearth for a little while until these new series kick off.... -the perfect time to get caught up on all the books I still haven't gotten around to reading and rewatching all the Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew TV shows and appearances :)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

SDLagent

I wonder what the new Hardy universe will look like?

MacGyver

Who knows? Only time will tell...of course, hopefully it will be significantly better than the most recent Hardy Boys universe- a harkening back to its original characterizations and founding.
I was just thinking today that this year will be the 85th. anniversary of The Hardy Boys. Of course, the original Hardy Boys series actually ran continously for the first 78 of those years (with spinoffs much later down the road, like the Casefiles)- the Undercover Brothers has run for 7 of the last years. That's still longer than other spin-off series, like the Hardy Boys/Tom Swift Ultra Thrillers of course- but considering the Casefiles ran for right about at 11 years- it doesn't seem all that long of a run, since the UB universe released 42 books (48 if you count in the presumably 6 ND/HB Supermystery titles ['07]), whereas the Casefiles released 127 titles (or 163 if you count in the ND/HB Superymstery ['88] titles)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

The Original series didn't run continuously from 1927 to 2005, since when #85 came out in early 1985, the next book, #86, wasn't released till August/September 1987, over a year-and-a-half later!  And then no books were issued in the series between September 1999 and mid-January 2000.

But, while there will be no normal Hardy Boys books for the next little while, the Secret Files will still be released every couple of months.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

SDLagent

And I think there was actually one year between 1927 and 1959. But the series didn't really go on hiatus considering only one book came out a year they were probably just a bit behind schedule.

MacGyver

Okay, true- the series did have some gaps in its release schedule here and there, but nonetheless- the series still kept continuing running from #1 to #190, over the years of 1927-2005. That's a pretty good feat, I think.

QuoteBut, while there will be no normal Hardy Boys books for the next little while, the Secret Files will still be released every couple of months.
Oh yeah- I forgot about that series. So yeah- I guess we will still have The Hardy Boys in some form at least until the new series starts...

Hardy Sleuth

I would like to add my voice to your guys' that it would be so cool for there to be #191 and on! 8)

With the Hardy Boys Mystery Stories running from 1927 and into 2005, which includes surviving wars, that is awesome!!!! 8) Missing a year or so with the production being slow isn't any big deal. The always popular, well-loved Hardy Boys main series had new books being published in the 20th century and 21st century. 8) Yeah, that rocks in my book. 8)
Joe Hardy said "Iola is alive, I can feel it. I couldn't feel this strongly about someone who was dead."

"Then I won't tell you to give up hope," Frank said softly. 8)

SDLagent

Yeah, it is pretty cool. And I agree with your first comment about where the new series should pick-up. I don't think it'll happen though. We're probably in for another reboot.

Hardy Sleuth

Quote from: SDLagent on January 09, 2012, 01:22:17 AM
Yeah, it is pretty cool. And I agree with your first comment about where the new series should pick-up. I don't think it'll happen though. We're probably in for another reboot.

If it is a reboot the most important things to me would be that the main characters from the Hardy Boys Mystery Stories be in them - Frank, Joe, Fenton, Laura, Gertrude Hardy, Chet Morton, Iola Morton, Phil Cohen, Biff Hooper, Callie Shaw, Tony Prito, Con Riley, Chief Collig - and that the characters stay in character.  8)
Joe Hardy said "Iola is alive, I can feel it. I couldn't feel this strongly about someone who was dead."

MacGyver

Hardy Sleuth

tomswift2002

Quote from: SDLagent on January 06, 2012, 09:58:15 PM
And I think there was actually one year between 1927 and 1959. But the series didn't really go on hiatus considering only one book came out a year they were probably just a bit behind schedule.

Actually, that appears to be nothing more than the copyright being registered in one year, but the book wasn't issued til the following year (just like what occurred with UB's Children of the Lost).
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

SDLagent

Hardy Sleuth