New Hardy Boys TV series coming!

Started by SDLagent, October 02, 2010, 08:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattie

hardygirl847

Well I suppose that's all we were going to get but thanks Skywarp for being on top of things! We should try again in a few months or the beginning of the new year to see if anything has developed.

I hope they don't sit there and tease us with this possibility but then leave it sitting on the table for years before actually trying to make something of it.
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

Mattie

SDLagent

Quote from: hardygirl847 on October 09, 2010, 12:48:28 AM
Well I suppose that's all we were going to get but thanks Skywarp for being on top of things! We should try again in a few months or the beginning of the new year to see if anything has developed.

I hope they don't sit there and tease us with this possibility but then leave it sitting on the table for years before actually trying to make something of it.

Yeah, I hope this doesn't turn into another "Hardy Men". Hardy Men's been talked about off and on for at least ten years.

SkyWarp

My guess is that they have a contract that may run out eventually (probably sooner rather than later) and they want to get something out of this before that contract runs out.  So I doubt it would sit there forever, unless S&S just doesn't care about tv rights.

SDLagent

Good point. Does anyone have any idea how long their contract with S&S is?

tomswift2002

Quote from: SkyWarp on October 09, 2010, 09:38:53 AM
My guess is that they have a contract that may run out eventually (probably sooner rather than later) and they want to get something out of this before that contract runs out.  So I doubt it would sit there forever, unless S&S just doesn't care about tv rights.

From the sounds of it, Nelvana may've originally signed a 15 or 20 year contract (possible 25 years) for the rights to the Hardy Boys (and possible Nancy Drew), and right now they've realized that if they don't produce anything on the Hardy Boys, then they could loose the rights early. 

And this is probably why we haven't heard anything about the Hardy Boys on TV in ages, but the Hardy Men has popped up quite a bit on the internet.  If the movie rights were the only ones that were actually active (and maybe there is a shorter contract length on them) then it would make sense for Fox to make as much noise as possible in order to keep the rights from reverting back to Simon & Schuster.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

hardygirl847

Hmm...well, either way I still hope they don't sit on it for a long time. Saying "hey, we'd love to do a Hardy Boys live action series" as just a tease and then never following through would tick a lot of people off...However, if there are rumblings that the series is going to be something that is NOT the Hardys (but just uses their name and a few parts of the books/personalities), I am all for it going down the toilet.

Go Hardy or Go Home.

Did I use that saying correctly? lol
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

Olivia

Quote from: hardygirl847 on October 11, 2010, 05:12:49 PM
Hmm...well, either way I still hope they don't sit on it for a long time. Saying "hey, we'd love to do a Hardy Boys live action series" as just a tease and then never following through would tick a lot of people off...However, if there are rumblings that the series is going to be something that is NOT the Hardys (but just uses their name and a few parts of the books/personalities), I am all for it going down the toilet.

Go Hardy or Go Home.

Did I use that saying correctly? lol

I think so, anyways, lol.

But I cannot believe this news. It gave me quite a shock because I was just thinking a few months ago that I wished Nelvana would try out a Hardy Boys TV series again, and here it is. I just can't believe it.

I hope they get some fan input, or at least someone in the business who is genuinely familiar with the Hardys.

NancyDrew

So is this true? I mean I know it might not happen but it is a possibility? If so, YES! I would die...hopefully of happiness. lol

hardygirl847

So far, they have expressed enthusiasm about still having the rights to the Hardy Boys. What they do with it, how long it takes, etc....is still a mystery in itself.

SDLagent

Quote from: Olivia on October 15, 2010, 05:09:59 PMBut I cannot believe this news. It gave me quite a shock because I was just thinking a few months ago that I wished Nelvana would try out a Hardy Boys TV series again, and here it is. I just can't believe it.

Same here. But I didn't realize Nelvana still owned the rights.

Olivia

Quote from: SDLagent on October 18, 2010, 03:30:30 PM
Same here. But I didn't realize Nelvana still owned the rights.

That hadn't even occurred to me. I must have been completely focused on the rest of it lol.

Olivia

I think the TV show can do alright as long as they keep the general premise of the series and the integrity of the brothers.

The '77 series was obviously good, and the '95 series did fine IMO. The '95 series was off-beat, but I could tell that they were starting to find what seemed to work before it got cancelled. A couple of the plots and some of the humour could have really been built from had they been given more of a chance. Some of the details were different, what with Joe being a college student and Frank working at a newspaper, but it was a decent adaptation (especially compared to what it could have been).

So in other words, the main goal I have for this show is for them not to characterize them in...well, a stupid way. Don't know how else to say that.

MacGyver

Yeah- I was just watching some of the '90s show the other day and I really enjoyed that series well. It's different from the '70s show in a lot of ways certainly- but I really enjoy the humor and the camraderie Frank and Joe have on the '90s series. (And that was present on the '70s show too- but I think maybe it was a little more pronounced on the '90s series.) Well, they're both great shows in any case and I hope the new one lives up to these previous series.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"