Recent posts

General Hardy Boys Discussions / Re: The boys in pop culture
Last post by NZone - March 20, 2024, 10:51:39 AM
Stargate:Atlantis season 3 episode 9 "Phantoms" has the following exchange:

Ronon Dex: A Wraith bunker, but no Wraith.
Teyla Emmagan: It appears to have been abandoned for some time.
Lt. Colonel John Sheppard: The Genii probably stumbled on to it just like we did.
Dr. Carson Beckett: And then promptly killed each other. Why?
Dr. Rodney McKay: Another Hardy Boys mystery.
Quote from: tomswift2002 on March 16, 2024, 09:19:57 AMThey could have been, however as I noted, by the time the book was written, the show had been off the air for over a decade (and from what I know it didn't last long in Syndication, since there were only 40 episodes, and back then you needed 100 episodes for successful syndication—-Star Trek was the exception).  If you were asked to write a book based on the old Fox series "Fringe" without having seen it since it last aired in 2013, do you think that you could remember how the characters were portrayed or spoke? 
No, because I never watched "Fringe". ;D

However, I do have some vivid memories of shows I avidly watched as a kid. In any case, given that this book series was to focus on a crossover between The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew, it stands to reason that the authors would likely have studied previous pairings for ideas, so maybe they were watching episodes of the '70s series on Betamax, VHS or LaserDisc.
Quote from: MacGyver on March 15, 2024, 10:11:56 PMThe Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries was the first pairing of Frank and Joe with Nancy so it seems natural writers probably did look to the TV show as an influence. Of course, the writer of this book would have likely been of the right age to have grown up watching the show in its original run as well.

They could have been, however as I noted, by the time the book was written, the show had been off the air for over a decade (and from what I know it didn't last long in Syndication, since there were only 40 episodes, and back then you needed 100 episodes for successful syndication—-Star Trek was the exception).  If you were asked to write a book based on the old Fox series "Fringe" without having seen it since it last aired in 2013, do you think that you could remember how the characters were portrayed or spoke? 
Quote from: tomswift2002 on March 15, 2024, 07:55:02 AMIt's interesting, however, I'm finding that the author seems to have written Nancy, Frank and Joe as how Pamela Sue Martin, Parker Stevenson and Shaun Cassidy had portrayed them, of course updated for the late-80's/very early-90's.  Of course by November 1991 the Hardy Boys Nancy Drew Mysteries had been off-the-air for 12 years.  So a little odd, however, in 1985-1987 there had been VHS & Betamax releases, so maybe the author had been watching the tapes (or they had recorded all the episodes off broadcast at some point) just prior to writing and the had the actors in mind.
The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries was the first pairing of Frank and Joe with Nancy so it seems natural writers probably did look to the TV show as an influence. Of course, the writer of this book would have likely been of the right age to have grown up watching the show in its original run as well.
It's interesting, however, I'm finding that the author seems to have written Nancy, Frank and Joe as how Pamela Sue Martin, Parker Stevenson and Shaun Cassidy had portrayed them, of course updated for the late-80's/very early-90's.  Of course by November 1991 the Hardy Boys Nancy Drew Mysteries had been off-the-air for 12 years.  So a little odd, however, in 1985-1987 there had been VHS & Betamax releases, so maybe the author had been watching the tapes (or they had recorded all the episodes off broadcast at some point) just prior to writing and the had the actors in mind.
So Chapter 2 has a passing reference to The Paris Connection.  It's very slight, since Bess just says that she's been to Paris.
Hardy Boys on TV / Re: Eric Carmen has passed awa...
Last post by MacGyver - March 13, 2024, 12:39:53 AM
Quote from: tomswift2002 on March 12, 2024, 07:28:32 AMI just saw on the news that 1970's hit maker, Eric Carmen died yesterday.  His Hardy Boys connection is that he wrote Shaun Cassidy's #1 hit "That's Rock 'N' Roll" )"(from Cassidy's self-titled album) that was featured on the 1977-1979 The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries.  Shaun Cassidy also recorded "Hey Deanie" for his second 1977 album, "Born Late" and the song was also featured in the show as well.  Both songs were included on Cassidy's 1979 "Shaun Cassidy Live" album.
Yes- sad news indeed. :(  I saw Shaun Cassidy post a nice tribute to Eric Carmen on his Facebook page. I pray God brings comfort to Mr. Carmen's family and friends. I watched "The Mystery of the Flying Courier" of The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries last night in tribute.
Hardy Boys on TV / Eric Carmen has passed away
Last post by tomswift2002 - March 12, 2024, 07:28:32 AM
I just saw on the news that 1970's hit maker, Eric Carmen died yesterday.  His Hardy Boys connection is that he wrote Shaun Cassidy's #1 hit "That's Rock 'N' Roll" )"(from Cassidy's self-titled album) that was featured on the 1977-1979 The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries.  Shaun Cassidy also recorded "Hey Deanie" for his second 1977 album, "Born Late" and the song was also featured in the show as well.  Both songs were included on Cassidy's 1979 "Shaun Cassidy Live" album.
Published: November 1991
Publisher: Archway Paperbacks (1991-2000?), No Digital Edition
Author: Unknown as of March 2024

Plot: America's Hottest Teen Detectives Team Up To Quell A Crime Wave In Quebec

Nancy Drew heads to Quebec City to investigate sabotage on the set of the romantic TV thriller Dangerous Loves.  But the action behind the scenes is far more chilling than anything on camera.  Somebody is secretly determined to turn the film into a flop.  The movie's title adds an ominous twist to the case when Bess falls for its very attractive star---one of Nancy's prime suspects!

Meanwhile...

Frank and Joe Hardy are also in Quebec for the Winter Carnival's spectacular auto ice-racing event.  But they soon find themselves in a race of their own---to catch a murderer!  Racing champion Andrew Junot has turned up dead.  At the same time a photographer from the movie set has turned up missing.  Nancy, Frank, and Joe form a single resolution: infiltrate the criminal conspiracy in...New Year's Evil

Review:  I mentioned New Year's Evil in my review of River Heights #13 A Mind Of Her Own where I mentioned that the first name book-only character is given the name of Emily, and New Year's Evil could've been that rare book where there was a triple crossover event in the Files-Casefiles Continuity.  Unfortunately, they didn't do that.  The Emily in New Year's Evil is not Emily Van Patten from River Heights who had acted in TV, but Emily Anderson who is Bess Marvin's second cousin.
Hardy Boys Casefiles / Re: #57 Terror On Track (32nd ...
Last post by tomswift2002 - February 29, 2024, 08:50:42 AM
I finished the book last night.  One thing I noticed with the cover and text is that in the text the train has a caboose, but the cover doesn't have a caboose.  I'm not sure when Amtrak last used a caboose on their trains (and the train's colors on the cover are clearly Amtrak's colors, but Amtrak is never mentioned in the story), however, even here in the 90's Canadian trains were very rarely using caboose's because of changes in the train regulations in the 80's because of new technology that eliminated the need for a caboose.  So I don't know if the author was simply unaware or what, or he just took author's liberty to have a caboose on the train...

Anyway, the mastermind turned out to be Frank's flame, but the author kind of dropped the ball on her.  The author didn't want the Hardy's to beat up a woman so he kind of jumped through hoops to get Frank to be in possession of her gun.

Also, in the end, while it was about the serum, the author clearly did not think that Talia might've had bigger plans to sell the mutated virus for even more money.  She could've name dropped selling it to the Assassins, however, that never occurred.  Instead she put it in a bomb wired to the train's water boilers.

Rating: 7/10