Cool finds from The Hardy Boys cartoon and '70s show

Started by MacGyver, February 05, 2010, 12:22:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomswift2002

I just got from Australia today a 45 of Shaun Cassidy's "Hard Love/Right Before Your Skies".  "Hard Love" is from Cassidy's third album "Under Wraps", and this 45 actually has the cover image of that album imprinted on both sides of the vinyl.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

Oh wow- all the way from Australia! Cool find. :) 8) I've got a Shaun Cassidy 45 somewhere from his first album, mainly because I got it from an antique store for a dollar and it has That's Rock 'N' Roll on it. :) 8)
I've also run across his first three albums on 8-track at one of the local thrift shops I go to from time to time. They've been sitting there for a while- I've almost thought about getting them- if I had an 8-track player. :D
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

I've got an 8-track of his "Born Late" album that I picked up at a thrift store about 10 years ago for 10 cents.  I just picked it up because I thought it would be an oddity in my collection and someday maybe be able to show it as a piece of music history.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

MacGyver

That's cool. What's funny about the Shaun Cassidy 8-tracks I've seen at this thrift store is that they were stacked in a display case for 8-track tapes. But the first album seems to be permanently stuck inside the case- like the plastic's melded together. So I guess whoever buys it would get the Shaun Cassidy album with it, whether they want it or not. ;D
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

MacGyver

Interesting podcast review of "The Mystery of the Fallen Angels" episode of The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries here. I don't think the reviewers are familiar with the books or the series, for that matter. It seems this may be their first exposure to the show. So it's kind of interesting to hear from that perspective.

MacGyver

Not strictly related, but I thought fans of The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries might enjoy seeing this '70s ad starring Pamela Sue Martin! :) 8)

MacGyver

And here's an ad with the other Nancy Drew on that show, Janet Louise Johnson! :) 8)

MacGyver

tomswift2002

Quote from: MacGyver on April 23, 2013, 10:31:28 AM
This is just a random observance, but I noticed that the three main stars of The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries went to work on some of the same shows after they had finished with the '70s series. Both Shaun Cassidy and Parker Stevenson appeared on episodes of Murder, She Wrote and Matlock (but, alas, not the same ones)- Parker Stevenson and Pamela Sue Martin both appeared on different episodes of The Love Boat (in Parker's case, multiple episodes- but again, not the same one as Pamela.) [Herb Voland (Chief Collig on the '70s show) and Susan Buckner (the second actress to portray George Fayne on the '70s show) also appeared on The Love Boat- but not the same episodes.]
- and Shaun Cassidy, Parker Stevenson and Pamela Sue Martin all appeared on Alfred Hitchcock Presents (again, none of them in the same episode). But it's still a neat little thing to note. It'd be kinda fun to watch all of their episodes of those shows back to back just to see the familiar guest stars. :) 8)

Also, William Schallert (Carson Drew on the '70s series) appeared on an episode of Matlock (but not the same one as either Shaun or Parker). What's funny is that William Schallert and Edmund Gilbert both have had such long careers that both actually appeared on the original version of Mission: Impossible (in the 1960s) [but not the same episodes] whereas Parker Stevenson appeared on the 1980s revival series of Mission: Impossible. Also, William Schallert as well as Edith Atwater (Aunt Gertrude on the '70s show) appeared on Alfred Hitchcock Presents too - the 1960s version. ;) [different episodes]. (And of course, as I already mentioned, Shaun, Parker and Pamela all appeared on different episodes of the 1980s revival series.)
And William Schallert and Parker Stevenson both appeared together in North and South, Book II (a 1980s miniseries on TV).
They also both appeared on an episode of Hotel (but different episodes.)

Lisa Eilbacher (Callie Shaw) appeared together with Parker Stevenson in a 1981 TV-movie called This House Possessed. Lisa Eilbacher and William Schallert also both appeared on two different episodes of The Twilight Zone (the 1980s revival series). William Schallert also appeared in Twilight Zone: The Movie as well as the original '60s version of The Twilight Zone. And both he and Lisa Eilbacher and Edith Atwater (Aunt Gertrude on the '70s show) appeared on different episodes of Bonanza as well. William Schallert appeared for a couple of episodes on The Waltons and Lisa Eilbacher appeared on an episode as well [not the same as William's episodes.] Janet Louise Johnson [now known as Janet Julian] (second actress to portray Nancy Drew on the '70s show) appeared on The Waltons in a different episode as well.
      Lisa Eilbacher starred on Midnight Caller for a while from 1990-1991 and William Schallert also appeared on an episode of this show in 1989- so he didn't quite get to appear together with Lisa Eilbacher. He and Lisa Eilbacher and Jack Kelly (Harry Hammond in Season 3 of the '70s series) also appeared on different episodes of Gunsmoke. [Jack Kelly also appeared in a 1953 movie called Gunsmoke, but I don't think it has anything to do with the TV series.]
     And I'm pretty sure I've noted this somewhere before, but Edith Atwater (Aunt Gertrude on the '70s series) appeared together with Herb Voland (Chief Collig in a few episodes on the '70s series) in a 1960s show called Love On A Rooftop. Edith Atwater and William Schallert and Susan Buckner (the second actress to portray George Fayne on the '70s series) also all appeared on Switch (in different episodes.) Another fun thing to note for Edith Atwater- I don't know if this was intended as a tribute or not, but it may well have been- in her last acting appearance before she died, she appeared on an episode of Family Ties called "Auntie Up"- and her character on that show was Gertrude "Aunt Trudy" Harris. :) 8)

And a number of the cast of The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries appeared together in a movie before they all wound up working together on the show later on. The movie is a 1974 movie called Our Time, which starred Parker Stevenson and Pamela Sue Martin and also had appearances from Edith Atwater and George O'Hanlon, Jr. (Ned Nickerson on the '70s show).
George O'Hanlon, Jr. and William Schallert also both appeared in episodes of "CHiPs"- though not in the same episodes.
But they did both appear together in a late 1980s miniseries called War and Remembrance! :) 8)
   And both made appearances on Magnum, P.I. (but in different episodes.)
     Also interesting to note- Pamela Sue Martin appeared on the original 1970s version of Fantasy Island and George O'Hanlon, Jr. appeared on the 1990s revival version of Fantasy Island.
Also, George O'Hanlon, Jr. appeared on an episode of Baywatch, which of course, Parker Stevenson starred on as Craig Pomeroy- but they weren't in the same episode together.
      And both William Schallert and Jean Rasey (George Fayne on the '70s series) appeared on episodes of Barnaby Jones and Lou Grant (but not the same ones.)
       Jack Kelly (Harry Hammond in Season 3 of the '70s series) and William Schallert both appeared in episodes of Sugarfoot, The Lucy Show, Banacek, Ironside and Marcus Welby, M.D.. (but not the same ones.) But they both appeared in the same episode of The Bionic Woman! :)
Also, Edith Atwater (Aunt Gertrude) appeared on an episode of Ironside too, but not the same one as William Schallert or Jack Kelly. Jack Kelly and Edith Atwater also both appeared on different episodes of The Rockford Files.
       Herb Voland (Chief Collig) and William Schallert both appeared together in a 1977 TV-movie called Tail Gunner Joe.
And William Schallert also appeared with Anne Lockhart in the 1985 TV-movie Gidget's Summer Reunion. (And she of course played two different roles on The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries- Sarah Masters in "The Mystery of the African Safari" and Jess in "The Last Kiss of Summer" (Parts 1 and 2).) And her mother, June Lockhart, made an appearance in the "Dangerous Waters" episode as Mrs. Migley, as well.)
     And Ruth Cox (Bess Marvin on the '70s series) also appeared in Happy Days, as did Gary Springer (Chet Morton on the '70s series), but in different episodes.
     Susan Buckner (the second actress to portray George Fayne on the '70s series) also appeared in B.J. and The Bear, as did Jack Kelly- but in different episodes.
    Susan Buckner and Herb Voland also both appeared on Starsky & Hutch- in different episodes.
Herb Voland and Ed Gilbert (Fenton Hardy on the '70s series) also both appeared on Wonder Woman in different episodes.
Ed Gilbert and William Schallert both appeared on The Six Million Dollar Man in different episodes.
   Ed Gilbert and William Schallert also both appeared on Combat! in different episodes.
Ed Gilbert and Jack Kelly also both appeared on The Name of the Game in different episodes.
Ed Gilbert and William Schallert both appeared on different episodes of The F.B.I. as well.
And Janet Louise Johnson (second actress to portray Nancy Drew on the '70s series) [now known as Janet Julian] also appeared on Murder, She Wrote in different episodes than either Shaun Cassidy or Parker Stevenson.
She also appeared on Falcon Crest, as did Parker Stevenson. She and Jack Kelly both appeared on different episodes of Alias Smith and Jones. She and Jack Kelly also appeared on different episodes of The Fall Guy. She and William Schallert both appeared on episodes of Enos and The Misadventures of Sheriff Lobo. And she and Jack Kelly also appeared on different episodes of B.J. and the Bear.
           And lastly, while I'm going through the cast of The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries, I noticed that Robert Karnes shows up in four of the Nancy Drew episodes as the same character of Sheriff King. ("The Mystery of Pirate's Cove", "The Mystery of the Diamond Triangle", "A Haunting We Will Go" and "Mystery of the Fallen Angels")- It's a shame we didn't have Chief McGinnis on the show, but it was nice to have a consistent authority figure in the form of a police sheriff for Nancy Drew to deal with. At least for The Hardy Boys side we actually got a few appearances of Chief Ezra Collig.

Just in case anyone is interested, The 1990's hit-Show, "Baywatch" has recently been remastered into 16x9 1080p HD.  Here in Canada it has been airing on the E! Network. 

Also just to add to the above, from the 70's show William Schallert & William Campbell both appeared on the "Star Trek" TOS episode "The Trouble with Tribbles", And each would later appear, in different episodes, on "Star Trek Deep Space Nine". 

tomswift2002

Just got in the mail today a DiscoVision copy of the pilot episode of the 70's "Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries".  It's interesting, but the disc is not housed in the average LP jacket, that has the slit at the side and could fit 2-Records max, but a box that flips up and could maybe hold 3 or 4 LP's.

DiscoVision was an early name for Laserdisc, but I don't have a player. 

MacGyver

Nice! That's still a cool collectible even if you don't have a LaserDisc player.  :)  8)

tomswift2002

I thought this was kind of interesting but on the cover of the 1982 Wanderer edition of the Tic-Tac-Terror it looks like the artist was basing Joe on Parker Stevenson from the 70's show. 

MacGyver

I can kind of see that, now that you mention it.

MacGyver

I just noticed this while looking through my Hardy Boys books collection. Somewhere around the early 1970s, I think, the cover design for Grosset & Dunlap's hardcover changes a bit.
   I noticed that the font used for the title on the front cover seems to be the same font used for the episode titles on The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries. It's a small thing but still a nice tie back to the books. :) 8)

MacGyver

I ran across this today at random and thought someone may enjoy it. It's a blog entry about a neat connection between The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries and the early '80s time travel show, Voyagers!- check it out!
(I like how the author used the introductory line used at the start of each episode! :) 8))