ND/HB Universe Trivia/Reference Crossover

Started by mscriminalist, June 16, 2010, 04:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mscriminalist

Probably a poorly titled thread, but you get the idea.

I really love the Supermysteries, and I enjoy it immensely when the writers add in cool information titbits, like for example in Shockwaves, where it featured Joe's melted carkeys (a reference to Dead on Target), and in one of Nancy Drew Files (I can't remember which), there was a reference to a case which Nancy and the Hardys solved involving drugs in sports (I'm assuming steroids... my memory is terrible!).

Anyone else ever come across any other references like these? Because I think Nancy was hardly mentioned in any of the Hardy Boys' books.
You're nothing but a one-armed bandit.

MacGyver

That's cool that one of the Nancy Drew Files actually referred to one of the Supermysteries cases and made a direct reference to The Hardy Boys. I don't know that any of The Hardy Boys Casefiles ever did that, unless there's a reference somewhere I'm forgetting. I also found the "Shock Waves" mention of Joe's melted car keys from "Dead on Target" very cool. I like these kinds of things too. :D 8)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Bigfootman

The Nancy Drew File "Smile And Say Murder" had one of the suspects mention that he read the Hardy Boys when he was a kid. Nancy Drew said that she also read the Hardy Boys series.

http://bigfootmanshardyboysandnancydrew.blogspot.ca

Most Recent Post:
"Tom Swift Inventors' Academy" Cancelled?

tomswift2002

I don't recall any specific mention of the SuperMystery'88 series in the Casefiles.  Of course there were always the vague references to past cases, so the authors may've meant one of those as a reference to Nancy Drew.

Of course in Time Bomb Frank does talk about the Operation: Phoenix case, and then The Alien Factor featured the USER from The Crowning Terror.

Don't forget that in the TV episode Sole Survivor Joe does receive that "letter" from Nancy Drew.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

QuoteDon't forget that in the TV episode Sole Survivor Joe does receive that "letter" from Nancy Drew.
Cool- I've seen the episode, but it's been a while. I didn't realize that Nancy Drew was referenced in that episode- I'll have to look at it again.
QuoteThe Nancy Drew File "Smile And Say Murder" had one of the suspects mention that he read the Hardy Boys when he was a kid. Nancy Drew said that she also read the Hardy Boys series.
Hmm- so we have a paradox here. In one reality, The Hardy Boys are just a book series and in another, Nancy Drew and the Hardys are close friends solving mysteries together. Unless both of them were referring to a book series about Matt and Jeff Hardy. lol ;D
(But if we're talking about Frank and Joe, Nancy must've been reading The Clues Brothers. :D)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

tomswift2002

Well considering that the Nancy Drew Files occur in the same continuity as the Hardy Boys Casefiles and Tom Swift (Archway), maybe that reference was referring to the Original Continuity.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

QuoteCool- I've seen the episode, but it's been a while. I didn't realize that Nancy Drew was referenced in that episode- I'll have to look at it again.
Okay- flipped through the "Sole Survivor" episode again- that one was a really cool episode, by the way. I really thought the setup was pretty clever and it certainly had me wondering the first time I saw it (although you always pretty much know there's no way Frank, Joe or Fenton Hardy are actually dead because they're all main characters on the show and the writers aren't going to kill off those characters. They gotta keep the show going. ;))
I appreciated the reference to Nancy Drew and also the references back to previous episodes, including a few flashback scenes.
I was actually thinking that this episode really reminded me of the Assasins in The Hardy Boys Casefiles #80 "Dead of Night"- interesting to see similar elements showing up in different media versions of The Hardy Boys.

SDLagent

I don't think Nancy was ever mentioned in The Hardy Boys Casefiles. I think she was only mentioned in one Hardy Boys book and that was Undercover Brothers #7 Operation: Survival. It's interesting the boys have been mentioned so much more in Nancy's books...

MacGyver

Even if only by 3 years, The Hardy Boys still are the premiere mystery series of the two and thus the literary "big brother" series to Nancy Drew. Perhaps at one time The Hardy Boys would have been more well known but I think definitely by now both The Hardy Boys and nancy Drew are pretty equally well known.

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: SDLagent on June 19, 2010, 10:14:20 PM
I don't think Nancy was ever mentioned in The Hardy Boys Casefiles. I think she was only mentioned in one Hardy Boys book and that was Undercover Brothers #7 Operation: Survival. It's interesting the boys have been mentioned so much more in Nancy's books...

What other Nancy Drew books were Frank and Joe mentioned in?

SDLagent