The Big Lie #1 - SkyWarp's Review

Started by SkyWarp, March 13, 2017, 07:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkyWarp

I came into this series not sure what we might get and a little worried perhaps.  But, after reading the first issue, even though I may have some small personal things I may not like, overall I found this new series to snag my interest and I am now wanting more. 

Let's dive right into it.

This first issue in the series starts out from Frank's perspective and sticks with it for most of the issue.  We do get a few pages of Joe giving a testimony and some thoughts from the Bayport Police, but we really get right back into Frank's perspective right up until the end of the book when we are introduced to the "little birdie".

The Bobbsey Twins (Nan and Bert) and Tom Swift are also part of this canon.   It appears that the Bobbsey Twins live in or near Bayport.  Tom Swift appears to be friends with the Hardy Boys, but it is not clear if he lives in the area or not.  However, one could make a safe assumption he also lives in or near Bayport by the circumstances given in the book.   What version of Tom Swift this is, is anyone's guess.  But with the given information, Tom Swift and the Bobbsey Twins all appear to be about the same age as the Hardy Boys.   

Tom Swift's physical looks may be different than what we are use too as well.

Chief Collig is in the book.  And a man by the name of Detective "Sammy" Peterson is as well.  But their look/appearances seem to be reversed (at least from what I would expect per their descriptions in the Casefiles).  Also Peterson would seem to be working for the BPD and not the NYPD. 

Callie Shaw is mentioned in this canon, but doesn't make an appearance per say. 

There is a man named Charlie who appears to be a cook or owner of a local lobster dinner. I am not familiar with any "charlie" in Hardy Boys canon, but he appears to know the boys in this series. 

And yes, Nancy Drew is in this book, but has very little screen time in this first issue.  She will definitely play a much bigger role in future issues. 

I am looking forward to the next issue.  So far, I must admit this seems to be the best Hardy Boys content I have read since the Casefiles series!

MacGyver

The connection with other Stratemeyer Syndicate series (The Bobbsey Twins and Tom Swift) is pretty cool indeed. Thanks for the note about that. When I have a chance (i.e. time and mainly money), I would like to read the comics- but from what I've read in the preview, I'm even more turned off than I was initially from hearing details about this series. Unfortunately, some of the things I dislike in this comic seem to be accepted things in the Hardy Boys universe as of late.
       Thanks for the review. I'll be interested to read the whole story and see what happens- sometimes things aren't what they seem.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Boys UB Fan

I'm so getting this! Somehow... It sounds like something I'd love to read. :)  Now to just find a comic book shop near me... :-\

tomswift2002

It's interesting that Tom Swift and the Bobbsey Twins make appearances.  Of course, while Tom Swift has always been presented in the same age range as Frank and Joe, the Bobbsey's I think were about 5 years younger for the older twins. 

As for the Charlie character, I wonder if that's a reference to Chow Winkler from the Tom Swift Jr. Series.  As I recall, "Chow" was his nickname, while his first name was Charles.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

Hardy Boys UB Fan

MacGyver

Cool! Post your impressions when you finish it. :) 8)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Boys UB Fan

I just finished this, and for someone who's never been into comics until now; is very impressed with the artwork.

(The following contains spoilers: read at your own risk)

How did Nancy and Tom find out about Fenton Hardy's death?

How is killing off a canon character okay?!

What's up with the swearing? I know they had this in the UB series, but not this bad!

What's with Tom Swift just suddenly living in Bayport when he's in California? Or so I thought?

All things aside, I loved this, and can't wait to read the other issues.

tomswift2002

Katie, in regards to Tom Swift being in Bayport and not California, the only series that had Tom Swift residing in California was the 1990's Archway series.  But even in that series it was established that the Swift's had moved from Shopton, New York to Central Hills, California.  And aside from the 1980's Wanderer series were Shopton was located in New Mexico, the two Grosset & Dunlap series, and Young Inventor had Tom Swift and Shopton in New York State (in "Tom Swift And His Motorcycle" it is stated that Shopton is in New York State and Tom needs to get to the state Capitol of Albany.). And of course Bayport has stated in the Casefiles as being in New York State, while the UB's had it confusingly in both New York and New Jersey! 
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: tomswift2002 on March 19, 2017, 06:53:52 AM
Katie, in regards to Tom Swift being in Bayport and not California, the only series that had Tom Swift residing in California was the 1990's Archway series.  But even in that series it was established that the Swift's had moved from Shopton, New York to Central Hills, California.  And aside from the 1980's Wanderer series were Shopton was located in New Mexico, the two Grosset & Dunlap series, and Young Inventor had Tom Swift and Shopton in New York State (in "Tom Swift And His Motorcycle" it is stated that Shopton is in New York State and Tom needs to get to the state Capitol of Albany.). And of course Bayport has stated in the Casefiles as being in New York State, while the UB's had it confusingly in both New York and New Jersey!

So Tom would've known Frank and Joe, I take it? Is Shopton not far from Bayport?

tomswift2002

Quote from: Katie on March 19, 2017, 11:35:09 AM
So Tom would've known Frank and Joe, I take it? Is Shopton not far from Bayport?

In the Sr. & Jr. series, and even Young Inventor, Bayport is never mentioned.  Also Bayport seems to be on the Atlantic seaboard of New York State, whereas, Shopton seems to be in upstate New York, or closer to the western side of the state, as in Tom Swift And His Motorcycle (page 84) it is stated that it'll take Tom a full day on motorcycle to get to Albany from Shopton.  Also, I always got from the books that Bayport, while it wasn't a suburb of New York City, it was still within a 2 to 2.5 hour drive of New York, kind of like where I live right now, I'm about 2 hours from Ottawa by car.  Whereas for me to go to Toronto it would take a 7 to 8 hour car trip, or as some would say an entire day.

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: tomswift2002 on March 19, 2017, 03:22:23 PM
In the Sr. & Jr. series, and even Young Inventor, Bayport is never mentioned.  Also Bayport seems to be on the Atlantic seaboard of New York State, whereas, Shopton seems to be in upstate New York, or closer to the western side of the state, as in Tom Swift And His Motorcycle (page 84) it is stated that it'll take Tom a full day on motorcycle to get to Albany from Shopton.  Also, I always got from the books that Bayport, while it wasn't a suburb of New York City, it was still within a 2 to 2.5 hour drive of New York, kind of like where I live right now, I'm about 2 hours from Ottawa by car.  Whereas for me to go to Toronto it would take a 7 to 8 hour car trip, or as some would say an entire day.

So in the comics, it seems like Tom is actually living in Bayport. Frank acts like Tom lives in Bayport because Tom is one of the only who didn't turn against them.

As for Nancy Drew, I never saw any mention of her until the last paragraph. So how did she find out?

MacGyver

The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew have met a number of times previously and the Hardys met Tom Swift in the Ultra Thrillers books- but this is the first time any of them have met The Bobbsey Twins. :) 8)

tomswift2002

Quote from: Katie on March 19, 2017, 05:14:22 PM
So in the comics, it seems like Tom is actually living in Bayport. Frank acts like Tom lives in Bayport because Tom is one of the only who didn't turn against them.

Maybe the Swift's have an office in Bayport in this universe and Tom has am apartment there (kind of like TSJR had an apartment at Enterprises in the Jr. series where he occasionally stayed over night).

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Do Simon/Schuster even hold the license anymore? I don't see them mentioned whatsoever?

tomswift2002

Quote from: Katie on March 21, 2017, 08:39:58 AM
Do Simon/Schuster even hold the license anymore? I don't see them mentioned whatsoever?

License for what?  In this case Simon & Schuster is the licensor, where as Dynamic is the licensee.  Simon & Schuster currently owns the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew characters and series.  However both Tom Swift and The Bobbsey Twins are public domain characters, but Simon & Schuster still owns the derivative stories and series and trade marks.