November 2013 Book Club: Hopping Mad (Secret Files #4)

Started by Hardy Sleuth, November 07, 2013, 06:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy Sleuth

I'll go ahead and start this topic and come back with my review after reading it again. So feel free to share your thoughts on this Secret File. It's a fun mystery. :)

Quote from: Hopping Mad by Franklin W. DixonIn Hopping Mad, the boys have to figure out a way to stop their school talent show from being ruined?by raining frogs! Let the sleuthing begin!

Sounds like one of the plagues! But don't worry, it's not. ;)
Joe Hardy said "Iola is alive, I can feel it. I couldn't feel this strongly about someone who was dead."

"Then I won't tell you to give up hope," Frank said softly. 8)

MacGyver

Wow! If The Hardy Boys are going to solve this mystery, I suggest they read Exodus 3-15, but specifically chapter 8 to read about the plague of frogs. :)

Ah, but if it's not one of the plagues, then I'll just have to read this book to discover what's going on. But right now, it looks like I'm going to be hopping mad because I haven't found Hopping Mad available at my local library....
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Sleuth

Quote from: MacGyver on November 08, 2013, 09:09:37 AM
Wow! If The Hardy Boys are going to solve this mystery, I suggest they read Exodus 3-15, but specifically chapter 8 to read about the plague of frogs. :)

Oh yeah, I'm sure they've read it, they're old enough to have heard it and read it multiple times. 8)

Quote from: MacGyver on November 08, 2013, 09:09:37 AMAh, but if it's not one of the plagues, then I'll just have to read this book to discover what's going on. But right now, it looks like I'm going to be hopping mad because I haven't found Hopping Mad available at my local library....

Aw, hope you've been able to find a copy to read, MacGyver. :( You can read the first chapter at Amazon. :)

Review: I like that in this series it's mentioned a lot that Fenton had taught them the 6 W's of investigating and explaining about them. It's a good formula that works. :) Chet was in the book for a short time and I like it when he and other cool regulars show up. :) This Secret File has some good stuff, although not my favorite, but better than several in the series. :) Favorite quote: "He was trying not to be afraid. Or to be afraid, but still do the right thing." The climbing they needed to do for the investigation was a very good part. Their dad had taught them about grabbing the person's wrists when helping someone instead of the hands because wrists would give more security to avoid slipping. There was a typo since Joe would have told Frank to grab his wrists not hands. The climbing added a touch of danger which didn't keep them from their pursuit of clues and leads. 8)

What I think I liked the best would be how the Hardys didn't just accept the bully's "confession" because they could tell from clues that he was innocent of disrupting the talent show with frogs. They kept looking into the mystery to find out the facts. Although the principal could also tell that Adam was making up his "confession" for some reason, she didn't have the integrity and character required to find out the truth like the Hardys. Instead the principal just did the easy lazy wimpy thing of accepting an untruth while being rude to the Hardy bros and not fair to Adam. Yay for the Hardys! 8)

The science teacher in the book was self-important and annoying. And it sounded like he was conducting an experiment that was new to him, but was actually very basic. ??? The Hardys push past problems and solve the mystery, plus they find out the results of the talent contest. :) 8) Another thing that's fun is that this series has Hardy Boys comics in the back of each one. 8)
Joe Hardy said "Iola is alive, I can feel it. I couldn't feel this strongly about someone who was dead."

MacGyver

I enjoy the Hardy Boys comics too. And it's always good to hear of Chet and other regulars appearing in the book. I like that this book has Fenton instructing Frank and Joe in investigation- nice! :) 8)
Unfortunately, I still haven't been able to track down a copy of this book and it doesn't look like I will soon, so I'm sorry that I haven't really been able to add any to this conversation. Perhaps someone else will chime in later.
     In another week or so, we need to get a book in place for December! And then when we finish out this year, we can look at planning things out for next year. :) 8)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Sleuth

I'm sorry you didn't find a copy, MacGyver. You did add to the conversation though even without having read it. :)

MacGyver