Why have the UBs not been canceled yet?

Started by Hardy Man, September 27, 2009, 02:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy Man

The name says it all, folks. Why in the world have the Ubs not been canceled when they said that the Killer Mystery trilogy would be the last one. I know because I had a party booked for the day that they officially ended the series.
??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

tomswift2002

Well, right now a lot of people are holding their breaths just to see if Children Of The Lost actually makes it to bookstore shelves, or if it becomes another "phantom" Hardy Boys title like The Hardy Boys Who-dunnit Book or Explosive Force.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

Bigfootman

http://www.simonandschuster.ca/search?navigation_query=Ns%3DON_SALE_DATE_DISTANCE%26Nso%3D0%26N%3D4294966498%26Ntx%3Dmode%2Bmatchallany%26M%3Dexpand_all_dims%3A1&page=1&sort=relevance

Look at this, S&S does not even list the UBs on their website! It's the same for the US one. Seems that they do not care anymore.

Also, "Darkness Falls" was supposed to re-release last year, sometime in June, it never did.

http://bigfootmanshardyboysandnancydrew.blogspot.ca

Most Recent Post:
"Tom Swift Inventors' Academy" Cancelled?

Hardy Man

Well, no offense, but I personally wish that the series would just end. I think that it is a disgrace to the Hardy Boys franchise and that they should just reprint some of the more worthy Hardy series' 
such as the digests or Casefiles.

Bigfootman

Quote from: Hardy Man on September 27, 2009, 05:38:47 PM
Well, no offense, but I personally wish that the series would just end. I think that it is a disgrace to the Hardy Boys franchise and that they should just reprint some of the more worthy Hardy series' 
such as the digests or Casefiles.
I totaly agree.

http://bigfootmanshardyboysandnancydrew.blogspot.ca

Most Recent Post:
"Tom Swift Inventors' Academy" Cancelled?

003Robin457

Quote from: Dinosaur Dan on September 27, 2009, 04:15:51 PM
Look at this, S&S does not even list the UBs on their website! It's the same for the US one. Seems that they do not care anymore.
Hey If S&S stops careing then the authors can do what ever they want. That should be fun.

Olivia

Quote from: Hardy Man on September 27, 2009, 02:15:58 PM
The name says it all, folks. Why in the world have the Ubs not been canceled when they said that the Killer Mystery trilogy would be the last one. I know because I had a party booked for the day that they officially ended the series.
??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Oh man, you are funny ? especially since you?re serious.

4567TME

The UBs are kind of good and bad in my sight.

MacGyver

As long as someone's still reading the Undercover Brothers series, they'll keep selling them. But I am curious to know where The Hardy Boys will go if this series ends soon.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

SDLagent

tomswift2002

Quote from: MacGyver on March 10, 2010, 11:18:55 PM
As long as someone's still reading the Undercover Brothers series, they'll keep selling them. But I am curious to know where The Hardy Boys will go if this series ends soon.

Hopefully someplace better.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

But that's just what I mean. The Undercover Brothers is the only official book series for The Hardy Boys at this point. If that dies out, I can't see the Graphic Novels continuing much more either. (It just seems to stand to reason that if the main item the comic series is based on dies, then the comic usually follows suit soon. I've seen this happen before- the Quantum Leap comic book series comes to mind, which quickly ended after the show did.)
  I'm just wondering if Simon & Schuster will unveil a different book series for The Hardy Boys altogether- either going back to the Casefiles or Digests style or something new altogether.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

hardygirl847

Quote from: MacGyver on March 10, 2010, 11:18:55 PM

Yeah but how can anyone read them when they are nowhere to be found?! My library doesn't have them and the book stores near me will have 1 every few MONTHS if I am lucky. I haven't really started into the UBs too much because of the negative reviews (and long list of others to read first).

But I wish S & S would revive the Hardy Boys franchise with something either fresh but also throwback to the Casefiles or something to captivate a new audience. The last TV series was in 1995 and was a flop. The Hardy Men movie (if it gets made) is just poking fun at our beloved boys.

WHY WILL NO ONE LISTEN TO THE FANS?!

I bet you if they actually cared and wanted to know how to be more successful, they would ask us...the people who read them, write them, and chat about them. Who better to get feedback from than the people who will keep you in business and actually CARE about what happens to these guys?!

*jumps off soapbox*   :P

PS When I say they should captivate a new audience, I do NOT mean vampires, zombies, or werewolves. That too shall pass and HBs are classics....not fads.
I'm not on here as much or I just come on for a few moments. So I trying to keep up with posts. Sorry for being MIA. I've been off on a mission with Frank and Joe! :)

MacGyver

QuotePS When I say they should captivate a new audience, I do NOT mean vampires, zombies, or werewolves. That too shall pass and HBs are classics....not fads.
To be fair, The Hardy Boys did a number of supernatural-themed books back in the late '70s and early '80s- even the originals deal with this sometimes (see "The Mystery of the Flying Express", "The Mysterious Caravan", "The Clue of the Hissing Serpent", "The Witchmaster's Key", "The Sting of the Scorpion"- "Danger on Vampire Trail" sort of does too- but only in name really- though the British Armada versions sure played it up.).
But starting with "Night of the Werewolf", I think there was a real push to make more fanciful titles dabbling in the supernatural- perhaps fueled by a general interest in this phenomena in the '70s as well as competing with The Three Investigators. (whose books were often dominated with such themes.) There's also "The Apeman's Secret", "The Mummy Case", "The Stone Idol", "The Vanishing Thieves" (another one of those fanciful-sounding titles that really wasn't), "The Four-Headed Dragon", "Track of the Zombie", "The Voodoo Plot", "The Demon's Den", "The Blackwing Puzzle", "The Swamp Monster", and "Revenge of the Desert Phantom".

There may be other examples, but all of these books sound like they really get into some weird, spooky, supernatural things- but most times the books honestly have nothing to do with what they sound like. And even if they do, there's most always a logical explanation outside of the supernatural. But The Hardy Boys Ghost Stories does generally break that mold.

SDLagent

Quote from: hardygirl847 on March 11, 2010, 04:20:43 PM
PS When I say they should captivate a new audience, I do NOT mean vampires, zombies, or werewolves. That too shall pass and HBs are classics....not fads.

That's the problem. S&S doesn't seem to realize that The Hardy Boys are classics, and the Undercover Brothers are trying too hard to be cool, rather then trying to be good, long lasting stories. In 50 years people won't be reading the UB, they'll be reading the Originals and maybe the Casefiles, too.