#31 Without A Trace (31st Anniversary Review)

Started by tomswift2002, March 30, 2020, 11:44:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomswift2002

Published: September 1989
Author: Susan & Bill Albert
Other Hardy Boys by Author: Casefiles #21 Street Spies

Plot: Rancher Roy Carlson asks Frank and Joe to visit his spread in New Mexico after one of his cowboys disappears. While searching the area in an ultralight plane, the Hardys are forced to land.
Suddenly the brother detectives are fighting to survive in a vast wilderness -- and along with rattlesnakes and tornadoes a deadly enemy is on their trail. There's a million-dollar bonanza at stake as Frank and Joe uncover the real mystery of the Circle C Ranch. But unless the brothers make their way home, their lives won't be worth a plugged nickel.

Review:  Okay, it's a little funny that I'm reading #31 in its 31st year!

The Hardy's are New Mexico to take on oil pirates!  Most of this book takes place in the desert and is pretty decent.  Without A Trace also features the debut of Frank getting his pilot's license in the Casefiles.  In the Mystery Stories, especially the books from the 1960's onwards, both Frank and Joe had their pilot licenses, whereas only Frank gets his in the Casefiles.  Of course in this book it's mentioned that Frank's license is a student's license, so he can't fly anything above an ultralight, and he's not allowed to carry passenger's (even though he carries Joe for the climax and tells Joe that Joe is walking back to the ranch if they run into an FAA official).

Rating: 7/10

VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

MacGyver

I remember enjoying this one pretty well. Without A Trace is one of The Hardy Boys Casefiles I got for my birthday as a kid. :) 8)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"