Why have the UBs not been canceled yet?

Started by Hardy Man, September 27, 2009, 02:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olivia

Quote from: hardygirl847 on October 22, 2010, 04:35:28 PM
It seems to be quite outdated. Anyone want to start a new one? :)

Haven't seen it before. Thanks for those of you that post external links, because I don't always come across these things!

A more updated blog would be cool.

iheartmystery

Quote from: SDLagent on March 11, 2010, 02:49:50 AM
Maybe they'll be forever lost.

haha :)

if the UBs were cancelled then I'd be forever lost!
American Teens Against Crime :)

Hardy Boys UB Fan

SDLagent

iheartmystery

Quote from: SDLagent on April 15, 2011, 04:49:54 PM
Apparently, you're already lost.

well, even it's that is so, i like it that way
American Teens Against Crime :)

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: SDLagent on April 15, 2011, 04:49:54 PM
Apparently, you're already lost.

I don't get it.

tomswift2002

Quote from: Katie on April 15, 2011, 08:31:33 PM
I don't get it.

I think he's saying that you are as lost as the Frank and Joe of the Undercover Brothers continuity.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: tomswift2002 on April 17, 2011, 04:49:15 PM
I think he's saying that you are as lost as the Frank and Joe of the Undercover Brothers continuity.

Okay  . . . :-\ The Lost set was was great! ;D

tomswift2002

Quote from: Katie on April 17, 2011, 07:39:12 PM
Okay  . . . :-\ The Lost set was was great! ;D

It was good, but still the series as a whole is just about as lost as you can get in the great fiction forest.  There's nothing in it that makes it stand out from the other "trees".
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

SDLagent

There's nothing great about the forest the Undercover Brothers are lost in.

tomswift2002

Just to let you guys know, I just received an email from Paul Mular (that he forwarded from another person who, I believe, is more up with what's going on in the Nancy Drew world), via another Hardy Boys group that will go unnamed, that 2012 is the cancellation year for The Hardy Boys Undercover Brothers and the Nancy Drew Girl Detective series.  Mular's email also said that sometime around January 2013 a new Nancy Drew series titled Nancy Drew Diaries is set to be released, but so far there has been no word on a new Hardy Boys series.

So, HBUB #39 Movie Mayhem may, very well, be the last book, and final nail in the Undercover Brothers series coffin.  (And this may be a reason why the Graphic Novels have gone on hiatus, with the main series headed for cancellation, S&S may be looking to see how they can rework all the Hardy Boys books that have the Hardy Boys in their teen years.)

So far there has been no word on the Secret Files or the Clue Crew books having the same fate.

When you think of it, the Undercover Brothers have last nowhere as long as the Casefiles did, and did not have as many titles as the Casefiles had.  Plus, when you think back to the last year of the Casefiles, the books started to be released every second month instead of every single month, before the series was cancelled, just like the UB's were being released every second month (like the Digests used to), but then for a short time it was every 3 months and recently, for the last two trilogies the release time between books has been between 4 to 5 months (with a Super Mystery'07 being released about a month or two after the first book of the trilogy).

But, it would be nice if S&S restarted the Digest series, or maybe even the Casefiles. 

MacGyver

QuoteWhen you think of it, the Undercover Brothers have last nowhere as long as the Casefiles did, and did not have as many titles as the Casefiles had.  Plus, when you think back to the last year of the Casefiles, the books started to be released every second month instead of every single month, before the series was cancelled, just like the UB's were being released every second month (like the Digests used to), but then for a short time it was every 3 months and recently, for the last two trilogies the release time between books has been between 4 to 5 months (with a Super Mystery'07 being released about a month or two after the first book of the trilogy).
Yeah, I had noticed this trend going, so honestly, I can't say I'm surprised. Especially when #40 went missing from Simon & Schuster's website, I figured something was up. I guess (unless something changes) the bits of info that did get released on the book can go into the scrapbook for "unreleased Hardy Boys books" on the Wikipedia page.

QuoteSo far there has been no word on the Secret Files or the Clue Crew books having the same fate.
I don't think these series would end just yet as both seem to be pretty popular still. (And both are probably better than their current teenage counterparts, sadly.)
Another Nancy Drew series- Nancy Drew Diaries? Interesting. I don't want to speculate too much on such early information, but I wonder if that series would actually be presented as diary entries of Nancy Drew- that could be interesting. It would still maintain the 1st. person writing style of the Girl Detective series, if so. I also wonder if that wouldn't be leaning a bit more toward the romance side of Nancy's life (with the mystery side still in place hopefully) as well- since their love lives seems to be the stereotypical thing girls write about in their diaries most.
          As to a new Hardy Boys series- I don't know. It would be cool to kick back up the Digests or Casefiles series- they could just dive back into either #191 or #128, respectively. I don't think I'd want a "revamping" though. (i.e. restarting the whole series using those continuities but renumbering the new books rather than incorporating them into the existing series.) I have a feeling it would probably be another spinoff series though- but hopefully one that breaks away from the ATAC model and gets The Hardy Boys back to their roots. Hopefully something at least close to the quality of the original/revised stories. Maybe they'll finally get around to that Chet Morton's hobbies spinoff series I remember reading about some time ago. ;D (This is an idea that was pondered somewhere in the 1930s-'40s or so, I think- an early spinoff idea that never happened.)
         Or maybe they'll have to do what the Star Trek universe has had to do for a while- just let it rest for a bit. But even if it's a temporary hiatus, somehow I don't think The Hardy Boys would ever be totally gone- it's too much of classic, legendary series now as well as a moneymaker for Simon & Schuster. Well, I guess we'll see how it goes in time...
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

SDLagent

It's about time.

Like others, I hope we don't get another reboot. I'd like to see a old continuity revisited. It would be pretty sweet if they went back to the Original continuity - and went all out, including longer page counts and interior illustrations! The original Hardy boys but for the 21st century.

MacGyver

QuoteLike others, I hope we don't get another reboot. I'd like to see a old continuity revisited. It would be pretty sweet if they went back to the Original continuity - and went all out, including longer page counts and interior illustrations! The original Hardy boys but for the 21st century.
Hmm- so that would be like The Hardy Boys Mystery Stories #191, but perhaps in hardcover format like the original Grossett & Dunlap books, with the interior illustrations and longer page count and all?
Or just a new series set in that continuity...
I would be cool with a series set in present time or even a period piece to revisit the late '20s the series was original set in- or at least perhaps to the '50s for the revised books...
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

SDLagent

I would say just call it The Hardy Boys #1 to attract new readers, and than maybe switch to the original numbering in time for book #200. And maybe just have the books come out once or twice a year so you could have longer, HQ stories in hardcover.