Top Ten Casefiles

Started by NZone, July 17, 2008, 03:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goldie3

Skyfire puzzle is a mystery/digest and not a case file.

I actually enjoy Rick Oliver casefiles a lot. I feel he gets Frank and Joe, the characters and their banter, their brotherly chemistry and care, just right. Plus, usually, his books have the brothers actually solving cases, with good amount of action. Him and Larry garmon are my favorite authors of the casefiles.

Bigfootman

Quote from: goldie3 on May 05, 2017, 10:41:50 AM
Skyfire puzzle is a mystery/digest and not a case file.

I actually enjoy Rick Oliver casefiles a lot. I feel he gets Frank and Joe, the characters and their banter, their brotherly chemistry and care, just right. Plus, usually, his books have the brothers actually solving cases, with good amount of action. Him and Larry garmon are my favorite authors of the casefiles.
"The Skyfire Puzzle" was actually the second book in the Casefile format, "Revenge of the Desert Phantom" was the first. It's been covered in other topics, but basicly those two books were an early attempt to make darker Hardy Boys books. From what I remember they sold well, but not well enough for the third book to get published. (Mystery of the Silver Star was its replacement) Instead, we got the Hardy Boys Casefiles.

http://bigfootmanshardyboysandnancydrew.blogspot.ca

Most Recent Post:
"Tom Swift Inventors' Academy" Cancelled?

MacGyver

Technicality. I still prefer to classify "The Skyfire Puzzle" and "Revenge of the Desert Phantom" as part of the Original/Digest series because they are numbered as part of that series. But I can see the argument for them being prototype Casefiles, though it still seems weird to me to list them with others. But whatever. It might be interesting to do a Top 10 list of the Originals/Digests and compare it to a Top 10 for the Casefiles and any other series of interest.
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Boys UB Fan

What universe would the "The Skyfire Puzzle" and "Revenge of the Desert Phantom" be in? I think the "The Crisscross Crime" should be there as well.

Bigfootman

tomswift2002, I just noticed that "Open Season" is not on your list.

I would update my list with the books I just read, but I'm not sure how accurate it is anymore. Part of this is because I reread Beyond The Law and liked it a lot more then I did the first time I read it, and the other reason is because I can't figure out where on the list I'd put "Spiked!", a book I gave a 6 out of 10 rating on my blog. I have no idea where a "6 out of 10" rated book would go on my list. I barely remember some of the  books  on my list ("Acting Up" and "Diplomatic Deceit" for example), and I may have been too harsh on a few books ( "Brother Against Brother" and "Double Exposure").

I might just start a new list altogether at some point.

http://bigfootmanshardyboysandnancydrew.blogspot.ca

Most Recent Post:
"Tom Swift Inventors' Academy" Cancelled?

tomswift2002

Wow, 10 years since I did that list and that is the one book I forgot?  I'd probably stick it near the bottom.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca