Get a Hardy Boys.

Started by SDLagent, August 09, 2008, 10:40:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomswift2002

Quote from: SDLagent on August 26, 2008, 12:26:54 AM

As for the non cannon comment...which Hardy continuity's cannon? Since there's at least eight this might take you awhile.

Most people consider the Grosset & Dunlap series to be Hardy Boys Canon.  Of course, there are debates about which book ends the canon.  It is pretty easy to say that from #1The Tower Treasure to #38 Mystery At Devil's Paw in their original and revised forms are canon, whereas a few people don't feel that #39 The Mystery of The Chinese Junk to #58 The Sting Of The Scorpion are canon, while the majority do.  And that includes Detective Handbook.  Then there are the people, like me, who consider the canon to extend to Digest #85 The Skyfire Puzzle.  Again, there are a few people who, with the 2005 publications by Grosset & Dunlap, say that canon goes to #66 The Vanishing Thieves in the Digest series.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 
www.trevorthurlowproductions.ca

003Robin457

I say it was 58 but when 59-66 came out in hard cover it changed to 66. Just my opinion. ;D

tomswift2002

Funny thing is, when 59-66 came out in hardcover, that was the second time that they were released in hardcover.  Between 1979 and 1985, aside from the Super Sleuths! and Campfire Stories, all Wanderer Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew and Tom Swift (except #10 and 11 in the Tom Swift series) were released in both paperback and dustjacketed hardcover.  The hardcovers are harder to come by, since most of those were sold for library usage, even though a few collectors did buy the hardcovers.  Of all the books released during that time in hardcover, probably the scarcest to find is The Hardy Boys Handbook: Seven Stories of Survival.  From what other Hardy Boys scholars have found out, that book may've only gone through one printing in 1980 and then was sent out of print and was kept in print in paperback until 1985.  But even the paperback didn't have that many printings.
VHS, S-VHS, Super Betamax, Mini DV, MicroMV, Betacam SP, U-Matic SP - NTSC/PAL/SECAM.  All transferred to DVD! 

Olivia

Disclaimer: No one take this seriously, please. I'm just joking.

UBs Joe would wear this T-Shirt

UBs Frank would wear this T-Shirt

JoeHardyRocks

"Hey! Don't do that here. You'll mess up my bedspread."
Rolling his eyes, Joe sat on the window sill and started sawing.
"Thank you, Joe."
"You're welcome, Martha Stewart."

Bigfootman

Quote from: tomswift2002 on August 26, 2008, 08:18:04 AM
Most people consider the Grosset & Dunlap series to be Hardy Boys Canon.  Of course, there are debates about which book ends the canon.  It is pretty easy to say that from #1The Tower Treasure to #38 Mystery At Devil's Paw in their original and revised forms are canon, whereas a few people don't feel that #39 The Mystery of The Chinese Junk to #58 The Sting Of The Scorpion are canon, while the majority do.  And that includes Detective Handbook.  Then there are the people, like me, who consider the canon to extend to Digest #85 The Skyfire Puzzle.  Again, there are a few people who, with the 2005 publications by Grosset & Dunlap, say that canon goes to #66 The Vanishing Thieves in the Digest series.
I say it goes until the last digest, but that's just me.

http://bigfootmanshardyboysandnancydrew.blogspot.ca

Most Recent Post:
"Tom Swift Inventors' Academy" Cancelled?

tomswift2002

Quote from: Bigfootman on October 24, 2008, 04:55:04 PM
I say it goes until the last digest, but that's just me.

True, there are some people who consider it to go to the last Digest, but the majority of the Hardy fans consider the books written by the Stratemeyer Syndicate to be, at least, the official Hardy Boys, if not canon up to #85 The Skyfire Puzzle

Olivia

Quote from: JoeHardyRocks on October 24, 2008, 04:52:44 PM
:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Sorry, I didn't realize you were teething as well. I should have been more sensitive :'(

003Robin457

Quote from: tomswift2002 on October 24, 2008, 07:33:34 PM
True, there are some people who consider it to go to the last Digest, but the majority of the Hardy fans consider the books written by the Stratemeyer Syndicate to be, at least, the official Hardy Boys, if not canon up to #85 The Skyfire Puzzle

My view is the classics go to 58 and the new blue spines of 59-66 I refer to as the extended classics. But I hear you guys saying conan and my view is the Conan goes to #190. :-\

NZone

Canon not Conan, LOL we're talking about accepted books not a barbarian
Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men.

003Robin457

Mabey I should bring back my "Rebel with out Spellcheck" sig! :D

NZone

yeah, and also Bigfootguy calls continuity "continualty", I don't think he understands what it is
Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men.

JoeHardyRocks

Dinosaur Dan ::) probably doesn't.
"Hey! Don't do that here. You'll mess up my bedspread."
Rolling his eyes, Joe sat on the window sill and started sawing.
"Thank you, Joe."
"You're welcome, Martha Stewart."