The Hardy Boys on TV and Film VS Books

Started by hardygirl847, November 12, 2009, 03:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy Boys UB Fan

They were at a political banquet in Casefile #5 Edge of Destruction. Does that count?

MacGyver

Sure- it's one of those more refined formal (i.e. boring) parties, but still a party nonetheless. ;D
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

Hardy Boys UB Fan

Quote from: MacGyver on August 09, 2011, 10:15:34 PM
Sure- it's one of those more refined formal (i.e. boring) parties, but still a party nonetheless. ;D

I did like that book. 8) But I have a few things that don't make since to me. I'll post those in the Casefiles thread.

MacGyver

Edge of Destruction is a great one- if I recall correctly, I think this was the first of The Hardy Boys Casefiles that I read- I remember being intrigued by it as a kid from seeing Frank and Joe crawling out of a manhole cover and immediately thinking of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles :) ;D 8)
"I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but by Me."- Jesus
"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver in "Cease Fire"

MacGyver

Just thought I'd post this link- here's a few scans from Dell's comic book version of The Mystery of Ghost Farm, the second of The Hardy Boys serials aired on The Mickey Mouse Club and the one that Disney still has not put on DVD yet.
I'm pretty sure I've probably posted this site before, but there's a great fan site for The Mickey Mouse Club online that has a lot of info on The Hardy Boys serials, including scans of all 4 of the Dell Comics produced for The Hardy Boys, based on the Disney portrayal. (Note: By scans, I mean the front and back cover and a page or two-not the whole issue.)

MacGyver

This, however, looks like it may well be the first of the Dell comics...

MacGyver

And don't forget you can also see covers, not to mention a few pages scans, of the 4 issue series of The Hardy Boys comics from Gold Key, based on the 1969 cartoon series at milehighcomics.com :) 8)
(And the '50s Dell comics and current graphic novels too, of course.)

MacGyver

Here's a good review of the first Dell comic- based on The Mystery of Applegate Treasure Hardy Boys serial.

Bigfootman

Quote from: tomswift2002 on May 02, 2010, 06:04:01 PM
Well in the Casefiles some of the books that have parties that I can think of are:

#7 Deathgame (sure it was a paintball game, but some people think of those as parties)
#13 The Borgia Dagger (as I recall the boys are invited to a party at the actress' home)
#16 Line Of Fire (birthday party)
#30 Deadliest Dare
#61 Grave Danger
#65 No Mercy (Joe complains about having to wear a "penguin suit" to a party when most parties in Bayport are T-Shirts and jeans)
#126 Fire In The Sky
A Crime For Christmas (UN Christmas party in New York)

There was a party in #84 False Alarm

http://bigfootmanshardyboysandnancydrew.blogspot.ca

Most Recent Post:
"Tom Swift Inventors' Academy" Cancelled?

MacGyver

I don't know where best this would fit, but since this thread was for talking about comparing The Hardy Boys' TV and film appearances to their books, and we had already mentioned The Hardy Boys cartoon show, I thought I'd post it here.
After checking a number of sources online, as well as newspaper microfilm archives at public libraries, I think I've found a complete listing for the episode segments of the cartoon show. I'm not sure of their exact airdates and how they were paired up for each episode, but at least I think I've got the complete list of Hardy Boys books that were adapted for the cartoon show. I'm disappointed that apparently The Tower Treasure wasn't adapted, but oh well- perhaps the show's producers figured it was already pretty well done on The Mickey Mouse Club Hardy Boys serials and didn't need to be done again.
    Anyway- here is a list I pulled off of The Unofficial Hardy Boys Home Page (http://hardyboys.us/hbtv.htm) (By the way, the Big Cartoon Database concurs with this listing as well- (http://www.bcdb.com/cartoons/Filmation_Associates/H-R/The_Hardy_Boys/index.html)

Prod # Title Air Date
HB-01 Unknown 09/06/69
HB-02 Unknown 09/13/69
HB-03 The Secret Warning 09/20/69
HB-04 The Viking Symbol Mystery 09/27/69
HB-05 The Secret of the Caves 10/04/69
HB-06 The Secret of the Old Mill 10/11/69
HB-07 The Missing Chums 10/18/69
HB-08 The Mystery of the Desert Giant 10/25/69
HB-09 The Mystery Cabin Island 11/01/69
HB-10 Hunting For Hidden Gold 11/08/69
HB-11 The Mystery of the Aztec Warrior 11/15/69
HB-12 The Hidden Harbor Mystery 11/22/69
HB-13 The Ghost At Skeleton Rock 11/29/69
HB-14 Mystery of The Chinese Junk 12/06/69
HB-15 The Shore Road Mystery 12/13/69
HB-16 What Happenned At Midnight 12/20/69
HB-17 The Sign Of the Crooked Arrow 12/27/69
Prod # Title Air Date
HB-18 The Clue In the Embers 09/12/70
HB-19 The Clue the Screeching Owl 09/19/70
HB-20 The House On the Cliff 09/26/70
HB-21 Mystery Of the Spiral Bridge 10/03/70
HB-22 The Yellow Feather Mystery 10/10/70
HB-23 The Mystery Of Devil's Paw 10/17/70
HB-24 The Sinister Sign Post 10/24/70
HB-25 The Melted Coins 10/31/70
HB-26 The Mark On The Door 11/07/70
HB-27 The Flickering Torch Mystery 11/14/70
HB-28 The Haunted Fort 11/21/70
HB-29 The Mystery of Wildcat Swamp 11/28/70
HB-30 The Clue of the Broken Blade 12/05/70
HB-31 Unknown 12/12/70
HB-32 The Short-Wave Mystery 12/19/70
HB-33 The Hooded Hawk Mystery 12/26/70
HB-34 The Secret Of Pirate's Hill 01/02/71

Three episode titles are listed as unknown. However, after comparing this list with the one on another Hardy Boys site (Hardy-Boys.com), I think I've got the missing episode titles. (http://www.hardy-boys.com/cartoon.shtml)
A listing at Toonarific.com (with episode titles pulled from 16mm films) also helped confirm this. (http://shop.toonarific.com/product.php?productid=16285&cat=0&page=1) Also, this listing from ToonTracker helped (http://www.toontracker.net/video/dvd160.htm)

All sources agree that it was 34 episodes produced and aired, as far as I can tell. And both the Hardy-Boys.com and Toonarific.com sites list these titles not listed in the above list, so it looks like these must be the "unknown" titles.

"Footprints Under the Window"
"The Phantom Freighter"
"A Figure in Hiding"

So anyway- it's just interesting to me to see how many of the original 58 Hardy Boys Mystery Stories were adapted into episodes of the cartoon. Of course, since titles in the series were still being written at the time, some of the books could not be adapted since they hadn't been written yet. Though I am still confused about these airing dates- my understanding is that each episode of the show contained two segments depicting an incredibly truncated and adapted book as well as a music segment to take up the half hour.
So if that airing list is correct, I wonder if episode segments were just paired with earlier reruns along the way...

So yeah- the pairing of episode segments is tricky to determine- here is a partial list (not necessarily in airdate order) from Hardy-Boys.com

Each half-hour episode contained two 15-minute stories. Between stories (sometimes a little bit into the second one) the "Hardy Boys Plus Three" entertained viewers with a new song from one of their records.
These episodes aren't in any kind of order. I've included the song in each episode, when known. Although the episodes don't include a title (making it very tough to figure out anything about them), titles have been assigned.
1. Footprints Under the Window/Hidden Gold -- Love & Let Love
2. Desert Giant/Viking Symbol -- Feels So Good
3. Old Mill/Missing Chums -- That's That
4. Cabin Island/Hidden Harbor -- My Little Sweetpea
5. Secret of the Caves/Figure in Hiding -- unknown
6. Secret Warning/Aztec Warrior -- unknown
7. Skeleton Rock/Chinese Junk -- unknown
8. What Happened at Midnight/Clue in the Embers -- unknown
9. Screeching Owl/Yellow Feather -- unknown

10. Devil's Paw/Haunted Fort -- Carnival Time
11. Sinister Signpost/Melted Coins -- unknown
12. Hooded Hawk/Short Wave -- Hello Girl***
13. Shore Road/Crooked Arrow - One Time in a Million
14. Phantom Freighter/Pirate's Hill -- unknown

These are episodes produced, but I
don't know how they pair up (all 1970):
House on the Cliff
Spiral Bridge
Mark on the Door
Flickering Torch
Wildcat Swamp
Broken Blade
*** This song was first released by Reed Kailing (aka Frank Hardy) and The Destinations, his former personal band. Although the Hardy Boys recorded a version for this cartoon, it doesn't appear on any of their recordings.
. .....................................................................................

Toonarific.com's listings seem to concur with Hardy-Boys.com and also fill in the gaps in some places, but still leaves some mystery in others.
Culling from those listings, other matchups for episode segments include:

The House on the Cliff/The Mystery of the Spiral Bridge
The Flickering Torch Mystery/The Mark on the Door
The Secret of Wildcat Swamp/The Mark on the Door
(I've seen both listings like this for "The Mark on the Door"- either there's an error on the site somewhere or perhaps this was a rerun segment...)

Also, can anyone help me determine which episodes the description on this site are for? (http://www.toontracker.net/video/dvd072.htm)
Thanks.
I hope all this is helpful for anyone interested in the airing history of this cartoon. For whatever reason, it's particularly hard to track down...

Also, from what I can determine, it looks like the rights to Filmation shows may have reverted to a company called Classic Media- so I'm going to try to contact them to ask about if they have the rights to The Hardy Boys cartoon show, and if so, what their intentions are towards a DVD release.

MacGyver

I went ahead and edited The Hardy Boys wiki with a note about the "Unknown" episode titles in the episode guide listings for The Hardy Boys cartoon.

SDLagent

Thanks. I haven't had much time for the wiki for awhile.

MacGyver

No problem- I look in on it every now and then... :)

MacGyver

wasn't sure where best this would fit, but I just ran across a pretty recent interview with Pamela Sue Martin, (who starred as Nancy Drew for the first season and most of the 2nd. season of The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries) online. She mentions her time as Nancy Drew along with some other things. A short, interesting read.

Olivia

Quote from: MacGyver on January 09, 2012, 03:53:01 PM
wasn't sure where best this would fit, but I just ran across a pretty recent interview with Pamela Sue Martin, (who starred as Nancy Drew for the first season and most of the 2nd. season of The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries) online. She mentions her time as Nancy Drew along with some other things. A short, interesting read.

Yay, my fav actress. Thanks!

A good interview, as it has stuff I didn't know. Like the one photoshoot (yeah...) sort of had some good come from it, in raising environmental awareness, besides helping to "change her image". I think she's one of the first to have made a career move like that, and it probably helped to eventually land a role on Dynasty.